How do you help beat 'Sunday blues'? Page 2

Quote: Chappers @ 10th July 2016, 10:46 PM BST

You're on holiday and you've got Sunday blues?

Is that because you've got to spend time with partner/kids/parents?

Apart from the fact I feel crap at the moment I don't seem to have Sunday blues. I'm on the way to Will's situation and I work Monday, Tuesday - off Wednesday - then back Thursday, Friday. That is in effect 2 weekends a week.

No. I have extreme social anxiety. I'm attending therapy sessions but I don't go back until August. Last week was a better week than this week.

I tend to feel liable to getting what can be referred to as the sunday blues most weeks.

Quote: Lom83 @ 14th July 2016, 1:48 PM BST

No. I have extreme social anxiety. I'm attending therapy sessions but I don't go back until August. Last week was a better week than this week.

These things are foreign to me.* Social anxiety means you get nervous when meeting strangers, or when you're around anyone (including people you know)?

Are the therapy sessions free or costly or is there a government subsidy? What does the therapy involve? Is it a group -- or just a single person saying "be cool and don't focus on negative stuff"?

* EDIT: Although I have long suffered horrific social disorders, mainly due to selective misanthropy.

Jeez. Even the idea of a therapy session kicks my social anxiety into overdrive.
Which is ironic.
I SHALL NEVER BE CURED.

Quote: zooo @ 14th July 2016, 5:07 PM BST

Jeez. Even the idea of a therapy session kicks my social anxiety into overdrive.
Which is ironic.
I SHALL NEVER BE CURED.

I think the prospect of attending "group therapy" would make any sane person anxious. It would be like willingly participating in a scam, in which you are the victim. "Hi, please take my time and money and tell me that I need to attend more sessions to reach my goals."

Jesus. It would be akin to attending a meditation class. "Hi everyone, let's all lie on the floor and get really f**king bored for an hour." Or a corporate meeting in which people communicate in meaningless business buzzwords, such as "Moving forward, we seek should meaningful engagement with stakeholders by working together to achieve our vision and mission." Aaargh! I hate those meetings.

Every single problem in life can be solved by applying the maxim/mantra that was outlined in a sketch that was once posted on this site:

Boss: So what-what're you saying?
Worker: No, what I'm saying right; we make the stuff--
Boss: [repeating for reinforcement] We make the stuff ...
Worker: And then we sell the stuff--
Boss: Sellin' it. Right ...
Worker: For more than it costs us to make.

And that's it. Common sense. Logic.

Quote: Kenneth @ 14th July 2016, 4:21 PM BST

These things are foreign to me.* Social anxiety means you get nervous when meeting strangers, or when you're around anyone (including people you know)?

Are the therapy sessions free or costly or is there a government subsidy? What does the therapy involve? Is it a group -- or just a single person saying "be cool and don't focus on negative stuff"?

* EDIT: Although I have long suffered horrific social disorders, mainly due to selective misanthropy.

Both but moreso strangers. It involves a lot of things - being overly self conscious, being too self critical, making assumptions of what other people think of me, avoiding eye contact etc.

The therapy sessions are via the NHS. Its one on one via out patients.

Glad you're getting help. What goes on in our minds is complete bastardry and yet none of it is real

Glad you're getting help. What goes on in our minds is complete bastardry and yet none of it is real

Quote: Lom83 @ 14th July 2016, 10:18 PM BST

Both but moreso strangers. It involves a lot of things - being overly self conscious, being too self critical, making assumptions of what other people think of me, avoiding eye contact etc.

The therapy sessions are via the NHS. Its one on one via out patients.

Crikey! I live in Indonesia, where people can get chained up by their own families if they display anti-social behavior: https://www.hrw.org/report/2016/03/21/living-hell/abuses-against-people-psychosocial-disabilities-indonesia

Plenty of literature on the subject of how to get better: http://shynesssocialanxiety.com/social-anxiety-books/

Is any of it any good? Is it tougher than, say, quitting smoking, heroin or curbing alcoholism?

Perhaps you could try the "Sheep Method"? That is, you think like a sheep, which believes it looks just like every other member of the flock, so it therefore has no social scruples until a yapping dog comes along.

Quote: Kenneth @ 15th July 2016, 3:25 AM BST

Crikey! I live in Indonesia, where people can get chained up by their own families if they display anti-social behavior: https://www.hrw.org/report/2016/03/21/living-hell/abuses-against-people-psychosocial-disabilities-indonesia

Plenty of literature on the subject of how to get better: http://shynesssocialanxiety.com/social-anxiety-books/

Is any of it any good? Is it tougher than, say, quitting smoking, heroin or curbing alcoholism?

Perhaps you could try the "Sheep Method"? That is, you think like a sheep, which believes it looks just like every other member of the flock, so it therefore has no social scruples until a yapping dog comes along.

:O I'm glad I don't live there then. I've read lots of literature in the past but self-help books and the like only help to a set extent. I'm very stubborn and critical of myself, which doesn't help. I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

Can't comment on those other things as I haven't been affected by them.

Quote: Lom83 @ 15th July 2016, 8:08 PM BST

I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

In which case you can look upon the rest of the wretched human race with disdain and perhaps a little pity.

Quote: Lom83 @ 14th July 2016, 1:48 PM BST

I tend to feel liable to getting what can be referred to as the sunday blues most weeks.

I have that too, it's because of my Asperger's. I have had CBT in the past, but it's not a great deal of use to me. I try to avoid stressful situations, which is often easier said than done and my return to work in September is a concern for me. Oh well.

Quote: Kenneth @ 15th July 2016, 3:25 AM BST

I guess that like the Welsh you Aussies know all about the Sheep method.

Quote: Chappers @ 1st August 2016, 10:05 PM BST

I guess that like the Welsh you Aussies know all about the Sheep method.

Lol. I never tire of hearing Aussie-sheep jokes.