Round The Horne Page 4

I read Kenneth Horne's biography a few years ago. It was amazing that for most of his radio career he also held a full time 'ordinary job'.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 12th July 2016, 2:09 PM BST

That's by Robert Ross. If you bought it as an autobiography...

autobiog, schmautobiog my life already................

I imagine you enjoy a game of chess?

Sorry, I just felt like promoting a new book, I guess?

An adaptation of an original radio recording of "Round The Horne" is being staged at the Barn theatre, Southwick, West Sussex on Tuesday 4th & Wednesday 5th October at 7:30pm.

I have enjoyed both Round the Horne & Beyond our Ken series for years but am struggling to find a specific sketch that makes me laugh just thinking of it, I wonder if any one can help me in locating it?
All I can remember is the title "double your pfennigs" or the punchline "it was Beethoven! It was Beethoven!".
Can anyone help me?

It would be greatly appreciated, thanks again.

This was a spoof of Double Your Money, it was mentioned in one of the RTH script books I think.

Quite possibly the cleverest and funniest line of dialogue I have ever heard in my life is to be found in the Julian and Sandy sketch "Bona Law" in which Kenneth Horne is looking for legal representation and chances upon our two heroes at their law offices.

KENNETH HORNE: Will you take my case?

JULIAN: Well, it depends on what it is. We've got a criminal practice that takes up most of our time.

It's possible that a great many BCG readers were not even born when that episode was transmitted and might therefore understandably fail to recognise the comedic and satirical brilliance of Julian's line.

I agree. Brilliant.

And, of course, those of us that were around were mostly too young and/or naive to understand what was going on.

Just spotted this on You Tube - Round The Horne! Series 4.1 [E1 to 6 Incl. Chapters] 1968 [High Quality]

3 hours-worth. That's going on the MP3 player I use to lull me off to sleep :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP-wbnRNISY