The Sitcom Mission 2016 Page 6

The update is... there is no update!

We're reading the scripts, we're checking them twice
We've got to find out who's naughty or nice.

Here are some things we've noticed:

We asked for 15-minute sitcoms.

One person sent us a page and a half. That's not 15 minutes.

One person sent us 43 pages. That's not 15 minutes.

We're going to do a couple of blogs soon about further thoughts as we go.

Quote: Declan @ 10th June 2016, 2:04 PM BST

One person sent us a page and a half. That's not 15 minutes.

Unless he's expecting a really enormous amount of laughter.

I don't understand how people can get it so wrong. It's not like there are massive amounts of rules and requirements, just write a funny thing that's 15 minutes long.

At least they're quick to add to the 'No' pile.

Just wondering if you know when the big longlist announcement will be yet? (Also, is 'big longlist' redundant? Anyway the first question is probably the more important of the two)

Quote: kate to the party @ 27th June 2016, 12:13 PM BST

Just wondering if you know when the big longlist announcement will be yet? (Also, is 'big longlist' redundant? Anyway the first question is probably the more important of the two)

Hi Kate

Good to hear from you.

We're taking our time over this because, as usual, we want to make the correct decision. We'll be announcing the longlist on Sunday 10 July.

Quote: Declan @ 28th June 2016, 9:23 PM BST

Hi Kate

Good to hear from you.

We're taking our time over this because, as usual, we want to make the correct decision. We'll be announcing the longlist on Sunday 10 July.

That's great to know -thank you!

Looking forward to seeing the list - good luck everyone!

Any idea as to when the next competition might be? I know it's a little early to ask but I really enjoyed this one and have had lots of ideas since.

Quote: bushbaby @ 31st March 2016, 8:07 PM BST

I wrote a sitcom a few years back about four pensioners; neighbours. It was deemed that it couldn't go anywhere. Boomers comes to mind

Ah but Boomers was 6 pensioners.

Sitcoms aren't the be-all. I suspect even successful sitcom writers (like our Beaky) will try other forms of writing.

Hi all

Apologies for the delay. We're going to take another 24 hours before releasing the long list. We want to make sure we get it right.

See you tomorrow, have a good sleep.

D&S

Ok folks, here it is.

As we said, we had a record number entering this year (since we changed format) and a record number asking for feedback. Hence it's taken us longer than expected to come to a conclusion. Or semi-conclusion.

So congratulations to the following. Commiserations to the rest. The nature of the game means that we have to reject 49 our of every 50 entries to reach our final four. We know of all the hard work you put in and we're touched and humbled that you choose to invest your time, effort and hard-earned cash into our endeavour.

The Sitcom Mission 2016 Long List are:

Stockwell Stationed Rich Heap and Michelle Wormleighton
We've Come to a Land Down Under Sam Chappell
Never Say Never Not Now Chris Tindall
Ups and Downs Nick Flugge
Bea Ware Lorna Woolfson
Clickbait Laura Steven
Black Sheep Josh Pomorski
Aspies Joseph Cornforth

Highly Commended

Lemmings Sarah Christou
Expats Kevin Webber
Down to Earth Lulu Popplewell
Kapow Griff Phillips

Winners, we'll be in touch. Bronze feedbacks are going out tonight.

Thanks again, love to all.

Declan and Simon

Thanks Declan and Simon. Awesome news!

A fine-looking line-up. And, just to demonstrate quite how many promising sitcom writers there are out there, only one of the Sitcom Mission's list is on the Sitcom Trials' list this year.

So double-congratulations to Griff Phillips whose Kapow will also be showcased in the 6th & final heat of The Sitcom Trials So You Think You Write Funny in Glasgow. (Full line up of the 30 Sitcom Trials scripts being performed across 6 heats, here)

Argh, so close! Still it's definitely a great consolation to be 'highly commended' by you both. Thank you :-)

The British Sitcom is dead. Written by textbooks, and overseen by box-tickers. Something you put on in the background whilst browsing your iPhone. That's why nothing sticks out from the last 10 years. All we get is setup and punchline, rinse and repeat.

Whenever I have been in attendance, all are so-so and nothing special, and you leave the one you know that will get the most laughs until the end.

This is not sour grapes; I just have an honest question for S+D, "What do all the producers you attract REALLY think?"