What are you listening to now? Page 1,260

T-Pocket - 1925

(Hatsune Miku Vocaloid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxGRVKT-ox4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatsune_Miku

Hookworms - On Leaving | Guardian Sessions

I'm on somewhat of a Pixies kick at the moment, their latest record Indie Cindy is a damn sight better than it should really allowed to be.
They have a new one out in a couple of months which I'm very much looking forward to and I've pre-ordered the deluxe edition over on pledge.

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/pixies?referrer=bento

Roll on October

Quote: Sarc @ 7th July 2016, 8:38 PM BST

I'm on somewhat of a Pixies kick at the moment, their latest record Indie Cindy is a damn sight better than it should really allowed to be.
They have a new one out in a couple of months which I'm very much looking forward to and I've pre-ordered the deluxe edition over on pledge.

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/pixies?referrer=bento

Roll on October

I got that message on Pledge too.

I'm afraid I really missed out on Pixies. Can you recommend ONE song that will persuade me to pledge.

I love Chorlton and the Wheelies.

New Seekers - Keep Britain Tidy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7FmbrMwjc :)

Quote: Chappers @ 7th July 2016, 11:06 PM BST

I got that message on Pledge too.

I'm afraid I really missed out on Pixies. Can you recommend ONE song that will persuade me to pledge.

That's a tricky one, the fact I've been up for over 24 hours due to one of the worst cases of insomnia I've had in years doesn't help. I'm quite partial to What Goes Boom of their last record Indie Cindy along with Holiday Song and Cecilia Anne.
Depends what you like really.
Their last record was a tad more polished than their first few records which I know didn't go down that well with the hardcore fans but if you've not really listened to them before it's a good Start off point as it's got everything that makes a cracking Pixies album just with better production.

I hope th new one is just as good as its cost me eighty quid. Mind you I've bought the strictly limited edition version that has all the bells and whistles on it so if I don't like it I can stick it up on eBay and easily make my money back.
The last time they did something like this was for the MinaTour and you'd be hard pushed to find a set of that in good condition for less than £350 quid.

Pain in the arse thing is I'm a completist so if I like a band I have to own at least one copy of everything they've released even if it means forking out a ridiculous amount for a single from abroad that only has one b-side and it's a crappy live version of a song I already own fifty three different versions of or it has a different cover to the one released over here, demos and promo copies to.

Thank f**k I don't listen to Bob Dylan, I'd never be able to track down one of each of everything he's done, I'd die of old age before I was even a quarter of the way through and I'm only thirty six now.

Bruce Forsyth - I'm Backing Britain

(Tough Mudder Mix)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-zi_-F2pN8

Quote: Sarc @ 8th July 2016, 9:34 AM BST

I hope th new one is just as good as its cost me eighty quid. Mind you I've bought the strictly limited edition version that has all the bells and whistles on it so if I don't like it I can stick it up on eBay and easily make my money back.
The last time they did something like this was for the MinaTour and you'd be hard pushed to find a set of that in good condition for less than £350 quid.

Pain in the arse thing is I'm a completist so if I like a band I have to own at least one copy of everything they've released even if it means forking out a ridiculous amount for a single from abroad that only has one b-side and it's a crappy live version of a song I already own fifty three different versions of or it has a different cover to the one released over here, demos and promo copies to.

Yes I've paid up for new Pledge albums for Mari Wilson, Swing out Sister, Rick Wakeman and a certain Mr Otway who is going to Montserrat to record it.

Also I used to be a "Collector" although I've got it under control a bit.

PIXIES - WHAT GOES BOOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWkD_-diYuI

Very good guitar sounds.

PIXIES - GREENS AND BLUES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1vdYTzPtKQ

Recommend me an album - or should I just go straight on Pledge for their new one?

Depending on if you like a cleaner more polished sound I'd go for Indie Cindy
But if you like your tunes with a touch more vitriol and a rougher edge I'd go for Trompe Le Monde

Speaking of vitriol if anyone hasn't heard Robin Ince and Michael Legges podcast Vitriola I can't recommend it enough. It's basically two middle aged comedians trying to discuss obscure indie bands while throwing in as many references to Marrillion, iron Maiden and Malcolm Middleton as possible without actually discussing the music and nine times out of ten the whole thing collapses into them swearing at each other and acting like five year olds. Very weird but so damned funny.

Pixies never totally clicked with me, though I love the song at the end credits of Fight Club which works brilliantly there, and I have one of Frank Black and The Catholics albums, Show Me Your Tears, which I really like.

Prefer Sonic Youth, and love Pavement.

Probably never gave Pixies enough of a chance, but life's too short etc.

Quote: Sarc @ 8th July 2016, 9:34 AM BST

Thank f**k I don't listen to Bob Dylan, I'd never be able to track down one of each of everything he's done, I'd die of old age before I was even a quarter of the way through and I'm only thirty six now.

I've been watching The Secret Life of Bob Monkhouse, which got repeated yesterday, and he was the ultimate obsessive collector - 50,000 VHS tapes, every edition of TV Times (annotated with corrections), comics - you name it, he collected it. Not finished it yet, but it's pretty entertaining and interesting.

I can see me getting like that which worries me a hell of lot, I've been known in the past to eat nothing but 7p packets of noodles for a month just so I use the money that would have gone on food on a rare copy of an album that has a misprinted label.

I'm a lot better than I was. The irony here being it was my bad health that got me out of that bad habit as I had to move back in with my folks at the beginning of last year and there's no room to store my record collection here so it's all in storage and where it's kept is a royal pain in the arse to get to and as childish as it may seem I've now got someone watching over me to make sure I'm eating properly and to remind me to eat when Wurzel gets his obsessive head on.

I had the collection valued a few years back and if I sold it all I'd be, well probably panicking for one, pretty comfortable for a few years to say the least but I'm not ready to sell just yet.

Getting back to the Pixies I just missed out first time around because for some strange reason I was more interested in bands like Poison, Winger and Skid Row (God knows what I was thing) than the alternative side of things but when I was thirteen/fourteen I heard The Pixies songs Crackity Jones and Broken Face when a friends older sister played me a mix tape she'd made and from that moment on I'd had it with bands like Poison and went over to the alternative side of things which probably sounds more Percy than It really was. Out went the flowery waistcoats and slightly too tight jeans ans cowboy boots (how the f**k I never got the shit kicked out of me at school I just don't know) and in went the converse, ripped jeans and plaid shirts to which I'm still accustomed to now.......I have no idea why I'm telling you this.
F**k it, Pixies, Soul Asylum, Spin Doctors etc YAY
Poison, Skid Row, Winger, Axel Rudi Pell etc I think not,

I'd keep all my comics too - Eagle and Victor especially.

I'm currently listening to Supertramp Paris which I bought for £2 from a charity shop recently. A bit crackly but that's how records are supposed to sound.

I also bought today an album by England Dan and John Ford Coley because I loved the single from it "I'd really love to see you tonight."

The cover though is quite frightening. They look like a couple of ABBA rejects - the boys that is - with their shoulder length hair, dodgy 'taches and big collars.

Quote: Chappers @ 9th July 2016, 5:07 PM BST

I also bought today an album by England Dan and John Ford Coley because I loved the single from it "I'd really love to see you tonight."

The cover though is quite frightening. They look like a couple of ABBA rejects - the boys that is - with their shoulder length hair, dodgy 'taches and big collars.

Or possibly a couple of QPR players from the 1970s. :D

Philip Parkes and Stanley Bowles.

I'm going to post a few versions of "Dancing in the Moonlight" because until yesterday I was foolish enough to think it was a (strangely familar sounding) Toploader original. This is the original which was quite big in the US:

King Harvest - Dancing In The Moonlight - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5JqPxmYhlo