The Good Old Days

Not sure which forum to put this in.

BBC Four has been repeating this from 1973 on a Friday evening.

For those who don't know it's like an Old Time Music Hall. The audience all dress up in Edwardian costumes and it's filmed at a theatre in Leeds. All of the acts perform as if they were of the period.

The first one I saw featured Larry Grayson and Frank Carson. The latest one had Beryl Reid and Roy Castle. The scripts are not really dated because they are supposedly "set" in the early 1900s.

I watched parts of it. I was enjoying it but I asked myself this question: What's the exact purpose of this repeat, reliving the Edwardian times or celebrating this nostalgic show made in 1973. I mean instead of producing a new show about the classic genre Music Hall they repeat this 42 years old programme that could be regarded as a classic as well. Maybe I'm thinking too much.

By the way, was Bernard Cribbins in the last episode?

My 87 year old mum loved it.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 23rd January 2016, 10:31 PM GMT

By the way, was Bernard Cribbins in the last episode?

Yes, and very good he was. Thank heavens for the fast forward button. Leonard Sachs gets on my nerves though.

The Cities Varieties is still there.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 24th January 2016, 9:11 AM GMT

The Cities Varieties is still there.

Yes, Frank Skinner and Suzy Klein went there in their recent BBC TV series on the music halls "What A Performance!"

Enjoyed the one Friday night just gone (you have to record it and FF thru' the singers to get to the comedy meat), with Barry Cryer (sans glasses!) doing a patter and funny song routine, which was excellent and John Inman with Barry Howard doing a camp routine and then a very funny drag act.

Well worth keeping an eye out for this as there are some comedy gems to be had.

A noisy (shouty) master of ceremonies, is all I recall. A bit like The Muppet Show but with people instead of muppets.

I hated this programme as a kid. It was like a punishment. Seeing it again just out of curiosity, I find it utterly unwatchable. Although the show is SET in the past, I find it as a concept so anachronistic. I realise that the music hall was poular in its day, the TV show itself is like it is of a bygone age. In a word- Grim...

Quote: Kenneth @ 3rd July 2016, 3:23 PM BST

A noisy (shouty) master of ceremonies, is all I recall. A bit like The Muppet Show but with people instead of muppets.

it is almost the forerunner of the Muppet Show as I seem to remember the Bernard Hermann Orchestra went on to do it.

Quote: Kenneth @ 3rd July 2016, 3:23 PM BST

Yes, Leonard Sachs (who has been acting in a couple of Edgar Wallace thrillers I have been watching of late) and he gets on my nerves - as I say, I still record it to see the now mostly dead comedians.

This week's was good for comedy.

Barry Cryer, a second time dressed as a funny Scotsman (?) telling great gags and Bernard Cribbins again showing what a wonderful talent he is with an amusing tongue twister song about a cup of coffee.

Yes I enjoyed Barry Cryer. He doesn't seem to look any different today.

Did you smile like me and think it looked odd at the end seeing the singer Ian Wallace seriously dressed in full Scottish regalia with Barry standing next to him in his similar comedy Scottish outfit on? :D

Unfortunately I missed the end but I would've done.

Marti Webb was on Radio 2 on Graham Norton's show on Saturday morning.