EU Referendum - In Or Out? Page 12

Quote: A Horseradish @ 7th June 2016, 6:18 PM BST

One thing I do agree with is the use of a goat video to get people to register:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36472498

Finally . . . something that actually makes sense to me! Teary

Travelling with Eurostar will be more fun with a Brexit.

A ramp on each side so that trains have an opportunity to leap across the gap made by the Queen ceremonially via nuclear bulldozer.

What happens if the majority of English people decide to remain, but say 90% of Scottish people vote to leave? Work that one out Ms Sturgeon.....

Quote: paulted @ 7th June 2016, 8:31 PM BST

What happens if the majority of English people decide to remain, but say 90% of Scottish people vote to leave? Work that one out Ms Sturgeon.....

That may depend on whether the Scottish Parliament will have the power to apply its own points based immigration system.

Presumably if it does most of the points will be awarded to immigrants who promise faithfully to support Scottish independence.

Farage isn't winning any new members for his camp by telling people to 'calm down'.

Even when Winner did it, it was fictional - but is in fact probably the best way to wind anyone up.

Quote: paulted @ 7th June 2016, 8:31 PM BST

I think vice-versa is more likely. The Jocks need some friends.

Here are a few facts from tonight's broadcasts to help undecideds.

The Prime Minister is the continent's biggest advocate of Turkey joining the EU and has suggested that Turkey won't join the EU in the next 1,000 years.

All of the women in the audience at Dagenham circus want to leave the EU and all of the women clowns in the circus there want to remain in it.

British society is so pathetic that when 100 potential sex attackers are in a crowd of 100,000 revellers, the 99,900 people who are not sex attackers will just stand by and let sex attacks happen.

People who arrived in this country in the last ten years are among the greatest opponents of further immigration.

80% of the gypsies at Appleby horse fair live in permanent homes and favour being in the EU so that they can retain freedom of movement.

George Osborne who may or may not be a future Prime Minister is currently 45.

Thought Eddie Izzard did a great job on "Question Time" last night in persuading the undecided (and maybe even the previously decided) to vote "exit" with his constant tiresome bufoonery.

Is really just a mass fight about chalk and cheese - with those on the chalk camp shouting about how brilliant chalk is, with the cheese camp responding by shouting louder about cheese. Neither making much sense as they don't seem to be giving their reasoning behind their beliefs and this is what is so nonsensical as it is all just that - what they 'believe' will happen but it's all just conjecture.

There are very few facts here . . . but I wish just someone would be objective and put them out on the table so we could arrive at an better informed decision rather than having both sides relentlessly shouting "chalk", no, "cheese" at us.

I'm just so bored with it all.

Quote: sootyj @ 20th May 2016, 4:58 PM BST

He depresses me; he's a failure a liar and an unmitigated selfish shit.

I don't give a toss if he's occasionally charming. He gave the city tube strike after tube strike, fire brigade strikes with his idiotic policies.

In the middle of a housing crisis, he wiped out almost all the remaining social housing stock.

He's a mayor who actively encouraged the economic cleansing of his city. Everything that was right or kind in London's government and there has been little. This last eight year has been somebody else's work.

His performance over the London riots was the act of a coward who should have been run out of town on a rail.

And that's before you talk about his "250,000" a year as a columnist. Hateful racist statements and he is well on his way to being our PM.

What did we all do so wrong to deserve him?

Vote for him?

Quote: fopdoodle @ 10th June 2016, 12:06 PM BST

Is really just a mass fight about chalk and cheese - with those on the chalk camp shouting about how brilliant chalk is, with the cheese camp responding by shouting louder about cheese. Neither making much sense as they don't seem to be giving their reasoning behind their beliefs and this is what is so nonsensical as it is all just that - what they 'believe' will happen but it's all just conjecture.

There are very few facts here . . . but I wish just someone would be objective and put them out on the table so we could arrive at an better informed decision rather than having both sides relentlessly shouting "chalk", no, "cheese" at us.

I'm just so bored with it all.

Looking for a less argumentative, less fear-ridden, less exaggerated discussion of the Leaving the EU Issues? Try this one: http://www.open.edu/openlearn/people-politics-law/the-uks-eu-referendum-or-out?in_menu=352976

The UK's EU Referendum - In or Out?

What is the UK's EU Referendum? What will it mean if we are 'in' or 'out'? Learn more about trade, currency, the single market, migration and many other factors that may be affected by the outcome.

By: Anne Wesemann (Law School) , Alan Shipman (Department of Economics)

Quote: sootyj @ 20th May 2016, 4:58 PM BST

What did we all do so wrong to deserve him?

Quote: Tursiops @ 10th June 2016, 12:43 PM BST

Vote for him?

Yes, it always amuses me how everyone is so keen on democracy until it produces an outcome they don't like (x ref the forthcoming American presidential election).

As far as the "Chalk Cheese" point goes, I can't help but feel the 'remain' camp has the larger problem. We are in the EU, if we stay in the EU, nothing will change. The only relevant arguments therefore are to say how much worse it will be to leave.
Brexit on the other hand can talk about the advantages of leaving and the disadvantages of staying, a much stronger debating position.

My only worry is that if we vote to stay in, will those in Brussels take it as permission to chuck out any rebates/concessions we currently have? Can they claim the not to do so means they are paying us to do something we want to do anyway? Just a thought!

Regarding cheese though as a commodity rather than a metaphor . . . I am lucky in that my favourite cheese is made in Somerset, but for those who like cheese made in other Euorpean countries, does a 'brexit' mean it will become less or more expensive?
:$

Quote: fopdoodle @ 10th June 2016, 4:54 PM BST

Regarding cheese though as a commodity rather than a metaphor . . . I am lucky in that my favourite cheese is made in Somerset, but for those who like cheese made in other Euorpean countries, does a 'brexit' mean it will become less or more expensive?
:$

If the UK does not negotiate a free trade agreement with the remaining EU it will get more expensive, The EU will have to apply their world trade organization tariffs to goods exported from UK to EU and UK will have to impose the same tariffs (Import Duty) on imports from the EU (to encourage EU to negotiate an FTA).

So the UK importer will see an increased cost which he will pass onto his customers by raising his prices.