The Comedy Store Players

I'm amazed there wasn't a thread about them already, legendary group as they are. Anyone got any good memories of seeing them? I've been three times in the last few weeks, fantastic everytime, I don't know how they do it! Josie Lawrence tends to be the standout I find, the imprvised songs alone are astonishing, and the chemistry between them is palpable.

I saw them once at The Comedy Store back in the 1990s. I'm a huge fan of Paul Merton, so I was prepared to be generous(!) Were they any good? Well, they were OK, not hugely, side splittingly, pant wettingly funny, but I enjoyed it.

I went along with my friend, Beardy. He tried to kiss me afterwards. That's kind of tarred my memories of that particular evening ...

Yep, they are siply brilliant. I'm also a big Merton fan (must watch all of his sketch show one day), so at first I went mainly to see him. But then of course I found the whole troupe are so in tune with each other, trying to 'out-funny' the last person on stage. As I say, Josie Lawrence always impresses me the most, such a lightening quick wit (something Paul Merton used to be the one to beat, I'm still amazed sometimes when I see old episodes of HIGNFY and how quick of the mark Merton is). Plus it's nice to see him onstage with his wife Suki Webster.

Spotted a post on Twitter by Richard Vranch saying that because of the England match, they have cancelled tomorrow's performance of the Comedy Store Players for the first time in 33 years.

https://twitter.com/richardvranch/status/1016649415564685318