Insects - Mankind's future?

I don't man the cockroaches that are going to survive Donald Trump's mega nuclear apocalypse

I mean the most sustainable source of protein in the world today

Shall we solve the world hunger problem
& save millions of innocent animals & the planet while we're at it?

Would you have an antburger instead of a steak to save our future?

I wonder if some vegetarians would be more likely to eat that than a cow burger. We all probably kill ants every day just walking around, so what's the difference.

The idea makes me feel sick because I assume the protein comes from that yellow gunk and I can't see much nutrition in that.

My biology teacher - naturally sinister - said in the 1970s that insects would rule the world in our lifetimes. The question is whether eating them would enable us to control them or remove our personal sovereignty as they dictate our movements from inside us. Also, if ingestion of them gave us an element of control what would be the relationship between those in our digestive tracts and the ones still roaming around? Would there be a war between them on the issue of whether human mouths should be open borders or just the need for a referendum?

I thought that was lizards.

Quote: zooo @ 4th June 2016, 12:14 AM BST

I thought that was lizards.

Everyone is entitled to be wrong once in a while. :)

That's lucky!

I'm sure there's a Netflix documentary about how bad the meat industry is
But those sort of stats don't often see the light of day
As we really do love a good steak

I have swallowed a fly or two, it happens in fly season here, the only good thing is the whole bottle of chardy you drink to wash it down.

Strumpet

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 4th June 2016, 1:15 AM BST

I'm sure there's a Netflix documentary about how bad the meat industry is
But those sort of stats don't often see the light of day
As we really do love a good steak

We'll just grow hunks of meat in labs and since it didn't come from an actual living animal it won't be a problem for the veggies.

Now that is a good idea.

Can we grow it without all the gristle and fatty bits too? Sick

(Presumably there wouldn't be any if it was synthetic.)

Quote: zooo @ 3rd June 2016, 9:18 PM BST

We all probably kill ants every day just walking around

I don't. I'm a very conscientious walker.

You float like the Gentlemen from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I still maintain that had it been plausible I would have chosen a career as an entomologist as I was always fascinated by the little critters.

Summer holidays involved sticking me in a field full of grasshoppers so my parents were free until tea time. My mother once found me in the middle of the night in bathroom of holiday cottage with a massive stag beetle in my hand and completely freaked out.

So no, I couldn't eat them, and imagine the little legs would get stuck between my teeth - as with stringy meat, which I don't eat either.

But to stray a little onto being a veggie . . . I used to get plagued by people constantly asking me why and telling me 'it's not normal' so came up with 2 questions that always shut them the hell up, and they were:

1. Would you eat meat (red in particular) if you couldn't buy already prepared in supermarket . . . in other words, would you be prepared to slaughter and butcher it yourself? Because I'd rather just dig a spud up and give it a wash . . . it would be far less messy, I wouldn't need to change my clothes and bathe afterwards and it wouldn't put up a protest.

2. If our teeth prove we are omnivores and not meant to be herbivores, then why is man the only animal that has to fashion tools first in order to kill our prey as we are not equipped to do so otherwise.

I've always said I'd be a vegetarian if I had to kill it myself. I don't even eat or prepare meat that looks anything like a piece of an animal.