Funniest Comedy Decade Page 7

Back to the initial question I didn't watch much British television so based on American I would say 80 were the golden years for for sitcoms especially live studio audience sitcoms.
For Britcoms I would say (from my limited perspective) the 90's.

90s*

:D

Quote: Leevil @ March 26, 2008, 1:26 AM

The only thing she'll be receiving is the back of my hand.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

I'm staking mt claim with the 90's. That's when I started thinking, 'That's what I want to do....'

Quote: Aaron @ March 26, 2008, 8:37 PM

90s*

:D

Same.

Interesting article on the BBC News website, with a quote from John Cleese that "there's still a few nooks and crannies in England where the real originality resides. But I have to say I think it is enormously less good than it was 20 years ago."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7377474.stm

Quote: Aaron @ May 1 2008, 2:57 PM BST

But I have to say I think it is enormously less good than it was 20 years ago.

Is that John Cleese talking about his own career?

Bitchy!

The 50s and 60s are being enormously overlooked here, on venue comedy, radio comedy, film comedy, satire and recorded vinyl comedy, remember that? The 50s and 60s take it quite easily as the pioneer decades with the 60s representing the absolute peak of British comedy overall.

People here are who generally youngish are saying their FAVOURITE comedy from days they remember. I can tell you it was pretty good long before the 90s, long before my formative decade the 70s too. Where is the objective perspective here?

You need a completely new thread for Sitcoms though, as the cream was in the 70s while film and venue comedy was in decline. TV sketch comedy also best in 70s. It all needs to be done by genre.

And the winner of 'Thread Resurrection' award goes to... ;)

It's impossible to pick out a single decade, but for me it's about the comedy that I would still happily watch anytime so it's between the 70's and 90's for sheer choice of good comedy.
70's you had major classics emerge like Porridge, Fawlty, Some Mothers etc not to mention the talents of Morecambe and Wise, The Two Ronnies, Les Dawson and so on, so spoilt for choice in that decade really.

But the 90's saw The Fast Show, Father Ted, Peep Show, League of Gentelmen, (I think?), then stand-ups like Stewart Lee, Ricky Gervais and Steve Coogan.
So again, spoilt there too.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 29th May 2016, 1:51 PM BST

But the 90's saw...Peep Show

Not until the next decade

1920s? Laurel & Hardy? Wodehouse?

For me the 70s. I grew up in the 90s, but the 70s was the best decade for comedy. Look at the amount of classic sitcoms, they were. The 70s sitcoms, were brilliant, not every single one, but the amount of brilliant sitcoms in the 70s compared to the 90s and 00s wipes the floor. Last decade of comedy I liked was the 90s, anything after that I hate.

70s had AYBS, Porridge, Open All Hours, Steptoe and Son, Happy Ever After, Fawlty Towers, Rising Damp, Man About the House, George and Mildred, Terry and June ect.

Lots of things there which I loved from the 70s.

60s is second though! Till Death Do Us Part, Please Sir, On The Buses, Steptoe and Son, Dad's Army, ect look at what that decade brought us! Some classic and brilliant sitcoms. The prime of the Carry On's ran through this decade also, which brought us some classics.

80s is a third for me, because it introduced alternative comedy, with The Young Ones, Filthy, Rich and Catflap. I also believe in my opinion, that Only Fools and Horses brings the decade above the 90s on it's own IMO. I know people might be mad about this, in the 90s, there was some great shows, but Only Fools and Horses is in a league on it's own. 80s also had some great forgotten gems, such as Dear John and A Fine Romance. Yes Minister, is a classic example of why the 80s comedy was brilliant also. Ever Decreasing Circles, I forgot to mention and a huge bunch of other sitcoms to come from this decade.

90s comes in 4th place. Some great sitcoms to come out of this decade, but doesn't beat the other 3 above. The sitcoms I like in this decade are Bottom, The Royle Family, Goodnight Sweetheart, The Vicar of Dibley, Dinnerladies, Keeping Up Appearances, Men Behaving Badly, The Brittas Empire and The Thin Blue Line. Only Fools rolls into this decade with excellent form and some amazing episodes.

2000s comes in 5th place, and not a fan of this decade. I despise, a lot of the comedy that comes out of this decade. The Office, My Family, The IT Crowd, The Inbetweeners, Gavin and Stacey, and others. Only things I liked from the 2000s, was The Royle Family, Gimme Gimme Gimme, The Vicar of Dibley and the last of the Only Fools specials. That's it.

2010s comes last. Not much to say, that I don't like any sitcom or find anything that I like from this decade. I don't, and I'd rather watch comedy from the 60s or the 70s.

This could be a bit controversial, but is my opinion, and I do respect others if they view different to me, so please don't be offended by any of my choices.

90s. Sadly I'm not too acquainted with 70s programming, but especially the continuation of Only Fools added to the decades charm.
I would if I could follow it with the 60s, for it's really sharp writing and style.
But otherwise the 80s for Tommy Cooper and (even though he was 70s) Spike Mulligan.

We can hardly comment on the 50's and 60's as most stuff is wiped.

I see this is hardly a popular opinion here but I think comedy has improved with each decade