Not Going Out - Series 8

They've just announced some script run throughs for Series 8 but unfortunately they seem to be unavailable now.

I was lucky enough to see some of the very early series in this way. The ones I saw included Tim Vine, Miranda Hart and Katy Wix so I'm not sure which series they were but a great experience if you can get to one.

I had an Email with a link to apply for tickets for one of these the other day. I'm not sure I'd really want to see a read through though ... especially as I'd have to come down south especially. I'd love to see the filming though.

Tickets for filming at Elstree Studios have been released at TVrecordings.com - curiously 2 of the episodes won't be filmed until November.

Not Going Out is moving to Borehamwood? Nice one.
I live there so I've always had an invested interest.

I went to the recording of the first episode last night. No Katy Wix, apart from the screening of the old opening credits. Either they've not filmed new ones, or my guess, they might rename the show now.

Hugh Dennis and Abigail Cruttenden have been moved up to permanent characters.

Don't want to spoil specifics, but it's a different show, with paralels to the old one. The flat has been replaced with Lee and Lucy's house in the suburbs, and the bar scenes are now in a coffee house instead.

It's still good, and the humour is the same, reassuring after the less than brilliant Christmas episode last year.

Quote: Mattjon @ 25th June 2016, 1:59 PM BST

Don't want to spoil specifics, but it's a different show, with paralels to the old one. The flat has been replaced with Lee and Lucy's house in the suburbs, and the bar scenes are now in a coffee house instead.

It's still good, and the humour is the same, reassuring after the less than brilliant Christmas episode last year.

I quite like the sound of these changes.

The changes sound really bad. I have found Not Going Out getting constantly worse since Tim Vine left after Series 5. gotta say at the time it started back in 2006 I did not like the yanky bird in series one sorry megan dodds is that her name. but the past few years I have started to like the 1st series more than some of the others.

I went to a script read through and now have tickets for November. If the scripts I heard were anything to go by, then it'll be as funny as ever.

No Katy Wix can only be a good thing. Her character became painfully unfunny.

More Hugh is good, but his wife is not a nice person or funny at all.

No Tim Vine is never going to be good.

Hopefully I will be proven wrong, but I really hope this is not going to be another sitcom that lasts longer than it should. The last 2 series was very hit and miss. Some very good episodes and some real stinkers.

Have to confess the changes does it make it sound like a totally different show altogether.

I went to my first ever telly recording last week, and loved it. I'll not give away any secrets, except to say it was as good as ever.

As good as Tim Vine is, he's gone now and Hugh Dennis does a fine job. I really respect Lee Mack for not replacing characters who have left straight away (as a lot of 80s sitcoms did).

Also, in my opinion, and apologies if I'm repeating myself, the only poor series was the one in which Tim Vine left and Lucy was trying to do Tim's part. In my opinion of course.

Finally, Sally Bretton and Abigail Cruttenden were bloody amazing with their lines.

So how long did recording of a 30 minute sitcom take? I saw some older ones being recorded in about 3 hours.

I think we got in just after 7.30, and got out at (I think) not long after 10.

I hasn't appreciated this, but every scene has to be filmed twice so you get different angles. The parts where kids are used were previously filmed and we saw that on video.

Another thing I didn't expect was that they only filmed what was to be used. I'd expected them to film more and edit it down to the 27/28 minutes that we'll see on television.

Quote: TonyT @ 27th June 2016, 12:51 PM BST

I think we got in just after 7.30, and got out at (I think) not long after 10.

I hasn't appreciated this, but every scene has to be filmed twice so you get different angles. The parts where kids are used were previously filmed and we saw that on video.

They're getting good then.

Quote: TonyT @ 27th June 2016, 12:51 PM BST

Another thing I didn't expect was that they only filmed what was to be used. I'd expected them to film more and edit it down to the 27/28 minutes that we'll see on television.

Do you mean as in film extra scenes and then decide whether to include them? No because that would damage the storyline and if not necessary what is the point? Also that's why they have public read throughs - to see what works and what doesn't.

Yes, and fair play. I'd just imagine it to be more like a film in that respect. I'd never seen the point in a read through, but I might get my name down for one some day.

Like I said earlier, the girls were excellent. Abigail fluffed her lines, once I think. She, went back one line and carried on.

Quote: TonyT @ 27th June 2016, 10:55 PM BST

Yes, and fair play. I'd just imagine it to be more like a film in that respect. I'd never seen the point in a read through, but I might get my name down for one some day.

It is mainly for the benefit of the writers/producers.