Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle Series 4 Page 4

Sounds like I've missed a gem. :-)

I can remember all of the details but Lee and Herring talk about it on one of Herring's Leicester Square podcasts, well worth checking out.

Quote: Sarc @ 17th April 2016, 6:56 PM BST

I can remember all of the details but Lee and Herring talk about it on one of Herring's Leicester Square podcasts, well worth checking out.

I recall that too. I believe that the dummy's cold hand provided scarce comfort to the sobbing Herring.

Well I'm pissed but not surprised by its cancellation.

So.

That's it for Comedy Vehicle. Lee confirmed in his newslestter.

I despair for the future of BBC comedy I really do. I mean surely this can't cost the BBC much to produce? Just Lee in a comedy club? OK the sketches at the end might take up a few bob, but I can't imagine it's more than a typical sitcoom episode.

Mind you, the plus side is that now the warm ups he's doing are for a full scale, proper stand up show to be toured next year, so that's something.

Such a weird decision. The critics loved it, it got decent enough viewing figures for what it was, and like you say it must have cost barely anything to make.

Maybe Jane Root's back at the BBC.

It's racked up 4 series over 7 years which is quite impressive for a stand-up show which focuses purely on one performer, so I'm not too disappointed.

A good time for a change and, as he states, allows him to do a tour with some sort of concept again.

My first time watching it was this series, feel like I've given it the kiss of death Eh?

Makes me wonder what it is the BBC are actually looking for at all, this makes no sense.
Will look forward to the tour though.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 7th May 2016, 3:13 PM BST

Makes me wonder what it is the BBC are actually looking for at all, this makes no sense.

The BBC comedy department - who make this rather than the entertainment dept who make Live at the Apollo - want to concentrate on scripted comedy due to budget constraints.

And, let's face it, the series had to end at some point.

Yes, I did read that about the departments, still makes no sense in a 'well it was doing well and he's got tons of fans and surely some juggling could have been done sort of way'.
Especially as it's clear he would have been keen on a 5th series.

The BBC have always been funny with him, they weren't even going to commission another series of Comedy Vehicle until they heard another channel (Sky I think) wanted him in which case they signed him up for two more series (3&4 of SLCV). With him it's always been a case of "we don't really want you but we don't want anyone else to have you"

Quote: Sarc @ 13th May 2016, 11:13 PM BST

The BBC have always been funny with him, they weren't event going to commission another series of Comedy Vehicle until they heard another channel (Sky I think) wanted him in which case they signed him up for two more series (3&4 of SLCV). With him it's always been a case of "we don't really want you but we don't want anyone else to have you"

Yeah, I heard exactly the same.

Dan

I'd like to see what he could come up if he ever went for an online audience like Herring did, there'd be no restraints and he'd be able to go as far as he wish and I doubt he wants to go as far as the "vomiting into the gaping anus of Christ" type material these days so who knows.

This was probably discussed but is it likely Stewart Lee will go to Netflix or another streaming service, he'd have more freedom probably.

Shame this has ended, as I absolutely loved it.

Boggles the mind the BBC decided against doing any more.