The Sitcom Mission 2016 Page 5

If I fully accept I may be putting myself at a disadvantage but I still feel I want to enter episode 1 (the Pilot) can I still do so and be judged on merit; or will it result in immediate disqualification and not being read at all?

Quote: smudger @ 22nd April 2016, 4:11 PM BST

If I fully accept I may be putting myself at a disadvantage but I still feel I want to enter episode 1 (the Pilot) can I still do so and be judged on merit; or will it result in immediate disqualification and not being read at all?

You can enter episode one if you like, but as Katie Tyrrell states here, it's not usually a typical episode: https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/blog/49/

If there's something about it that we really like, we'll probably want to work with you on it. It's best if you don't spend two-thirds of the script meeting new characters and telling us loads of their back story with no hints of an episode plot. Get the story going and introduce new characters along the way.

Julie Bower's 49 Cedar Street, which we previously showcased and was later broadcast on Radio 4, was a first episode.

The IT Crowd kicked off with Jen joining Reynholm industries.

And that didn't do too badly.

What we (and our blogs) are offering are guidelines only. 'Tools not rules' as we like to say.

More good news as I've a barely disguised pilot yet again. It doesn't matter if I've got another 8 outlines drafted, I always seem to choose ep1 to send. It's character revealing isn't it, shows who they are. But you won't know anyway because I'm going to call it Ep4! Fiendish eh?

And still on the subject I've always had a niggle with my fave sitcom Fawlty Towers' ep1 choice which felt too unintroduced to me. I'd have gone with The Hotel Inspectors, one of the best eps AND the perfect intro. I should've been a producer. Unimpressed

just a couple of questions following my feedback:

1) my opening scene opens with stand up, and you ask if this is how every episode will open - the answer is no, but how can I get this across in the script?
2)i sometimes get conflicting bits of feedback, one likes something the other doesn't - how to know which to follow?

Quote: Harri @ 3rd May 2016, 8:35 PM BST

just a couple of questions following my feedback:

1) my opening scene opens with stand up, and you ask if this is how every episode will open - the answer is no, but how can I get this across in the script?
2)i sometimes get conflicting bits of feedback, one likes something the other doesn't - how to know which to follow?

1) If this was something that happened in every episode, you could put "This happens in every episode" in your scene direction.
2) Go with the one that you resonate with.

Quote: Harri @ 3rd May 2016, 8:35 PM BST

This question is worth $64,000 dollars.

I think the true answer is to come up with something that people will never say no to. Whether they dislike bits of it or not.

Our next Sitcom Writing Taster at City Academy has SOLD OUT, so they've added another on Thurs 26 May. Come along and say hi: http://www.city-academy.com/sitcom-writing-taster#TimetableBooking

Two entries just came in at 23:53. One at 23:56. Another at 23:57.

23:59 is the winner!

...I always knew I had a winning entry on my hands.

A record number of entries since we moved to the new format as 218 of you sent us your scripts. This is up about 25% on 2015, most likely due to last year's success.

Much love and thanks to all of you. Like PlusNet, we'll do you proud.

Quote: Declan @ 22nd April 2016, 4:49 PM BST

You can enter episode one if you like, but as Katie Tyrrell states here, it's not usually a typical episode: https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/blog/49/

If there's something about it that we really like, we'll probably want to work with you on it. It's best if you don't spend two-thirds of the script meeting new characters and telling us loads of their back story with no hints of an episode plot. Get the story going and introduce new characters along the way.

Julie Bower's 49 Cedar Street, which we previously showcased and was later broadcast on Radio 4, was a first episode.

I'm glad it's OK to have entered a first episode, as I had not noticed your preference for a later episode before I entered mine. I could attempt to pretend that this episode was intended to be a later episode if I had not, in fact, labeled this episode "Pilot" on the cover page of the document. LOL This would probably preclude any attempts at subsequent subterfuge on my part. It's just that I have entered other similar competitions that actually require that you send in the pilot episode.

At any rate I pledge to you that I have virtually nothing in the way of heavy exposition or character introductions in the script, as that's "not how I roll" when writing a pilot.

Thank you for your attention, and for letting me confess publicly to submitting a pilot episode.

Quote: Sue B @ 19th May 2016, 11:51 PM BST

I'm glad it's OK to have entered a first episode, as I had not noticed your preference for a later episode before I entered mine. I could attempt to pretend that this episode was intended to be a later episode if I had not, in fact, labeled this episode "Pilot" on the cover page of the document. LOL This would probably preclude any attempts at subsequent subterfuge on my part. It's just that I have entered other similar competitions that actually require that you send in the pilot episode.

At any rate I pledge to you that I have virtually nothing in the way of heavy exposition or character introductions in the script, as that's "not how I roll" when writing a pilot.

Thank you for your attention, and for letting me confess publicly to submitting a pilot episode.

I look forward to absolving you, Sue B!

the Forum has gone very quiet, any update for us Declan, Simon?

Ooh, yes please! I'd also very much like an update! Angelic

J x