Upstart Crow - Series 1 Page 4

Quote: Chappers @ 18th May 2016, 9:47 PM BST

Which one is he? I don't think I've ever heard of him before.

He's the guy that plays the character that should have been played by Robert Webb...

Quote: lofthouse @ 18th May 2016, 10:00 PM BST

He's the guy that plays the character that should have been played by Robert Webb...

Oh that explains everything.

If I was Gervais I think I'd be extremely pissed off.

And yes I see now how Elton it is. I'd assumed it was written by David Mitchell.

Because we know the characters, we know what's going on. Blackadder also used anachronisms, so does Asterix and Horrible Histories. Maybe a bit more research, bring in the Puritans, bring in Bacon, have something about the Dark Lady? A bit more?

Not feeling this at all after two eps, I have to say. It's like Mrs Brown does Blackadder badly.

Well, they achieved the impossible. Ep 2 was worse than Ep 1. How many more times is Ben Elton going to dip into the "I mix up the words in a sentence because it's what I do" gag bag? Car-crash TV.

I am still very much enjoying it.

Eating the offensive play only for the Queen to get better was predictable but no less hilarious and the show seemed self-aware of this, allowing Heap's character to sweep in and declare the plot twist in an exuberant manner.

Laughter free zone for me so far :(

Ben is re-treading a very old tyre. Move on, Ben. Watch Mum and Going Forward for clues.

Quote: italophile @ 22nd May 2016, 8:33 AM BST

Ben is re-treading a very old tyre. Move on, Ben. Watch Mum and Going Forward for clues.

Neither of which are studio sitcoms. Different dynamics, uncomparable.

Quote: Woozie @ 22nd May 2016, 9:30 AM BST

Very true and it's why I enjoyed his TWW because it was defiantly being an sas in a sea of trendy single cam comdrams, despite it being terrible.

I'm trying to think back to Blackadder2 to remember any WS based material, maybe the odd reference or joke but I'm struggling to recall an episode based on him or the theatre, am I wrong? Haven't seen it in years. And if not why not? Surely this stuff belonged there if anywhere.

Quote: Woozie @ 22nd May 2016, 9:30 AM BST

I'm comparing the writing. Writing is comparable. Studio sitcoms can be well-written. Many are.

Quote: italophile @ 22nd May 2016, 5:20 PM BST

I'm comparing the writing. Writing is comparable. Studio sitcoms can be well-written. Many are.

Writing a studio sitcom is very different from comedy "drama" (for lack of a better word) You have to hit a punch line at least every other line. Studio sitcoms are driven by energy and quick plot advancements. The other is more paced and can be manipulated in an edit to be what works best for that particular programme. It's essentially a play versus a film.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 22nd May 2016, 12:06 PM BST

I'm trying to think back to Blackadder2 to remember any WS based material, maybe the odd reference or joke but I'm struggling to recall an episode based on him or the theatre, am I wrong? Haven't seen it in years. And if not why not? Surely this stuff belonged there if anywhere.

There was the Queen's poem, 'Edmund' that Shakespeare helped with the title. There was also a bit in Back and Forth, but I tend to disregard that special as non-cannon.

Quote: Mutley @ 23rd May 2016, 3:00 AM BST

There was also a bit in Back and Forth, but I tend to disregard that special as non-cannon.

Non-cannon?! But that's the best single scene in the entire Blackadder world! Pah!

The bit in ep 1 where they are trying to pretend that the dead guy, wasn't dead - reminded me of the Lord Ponsenby story in Blackadder 2