Mum

Thought I'd start a thread as there didn't seem to be one.

Watched this last night and it was excellent; there were great lines but also lots of the humour came from the awkwardness of the situation, and the characters are very well thought out.

Looking forward to the next episode.

:)

Hope Pauline doesn't become as big a monster as Laura, or should I say that I hope Pauline is as big a monster as Laura . . .

Never made it far with 'Him and Her' but this was excellent, looking forward to episode two. :)

Mum, yes good stuff so far, however BBC Three's Witless is aptly named. I hung on for ten mins, then it drove me to drink.

Loved it. Subtle, well acted, well observed characters. Long may it last.

Starting to watch this on catch-up. Is 1st January the first episode? Doesn't actually say.

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd May 2016, 10:33 PM BST

Starting to watch this on catch-up. Is 1st January the first episode?Doesn't actually say.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/mum/episodes/

Yes, it's the funeral one. Very good.

I enjoyed it and can see myself warming to it as I did to Him & Her.

I thought it was a bit tame and lazy really.

Caricature stupid blonde and senile old woman plus the "joke" about her mislaying her glasses.

Not enough to put myself out for I'm afraid.

Horrific stuff.

The blonde woman was so dumb, I genuinely believe she's mentally ill. Really unfunny, really exaggerated and poorly written characters. Just shocking. Really poor.

e3 has laugh (giggle) soundtrack by characters themselves.

I think it's sweet and funny. Loved the pompous sister-in-law's "I write book reviews for Amazon."

Ditto. Lesley Manville and Peter Mullan's relationship is beautifully written. And played. An understated tenderness I didn't know Stefan had in him.

The only misstep for me so far is overloading us with Kelly, her mother and cousin. I get what he's trying to do, the relentlessness of it all, but it's hitting one note.

For the most part I've loved this. It was a bit emotional when Kelly's mum paid her a compliment in ep 3. I think Mum sometimes gets lost a bit with the other characters taking over but it's been very heartwarming.