Network Comedy DVDs

Does anyone know why Network have cancelled all their future releases for TV comedy DVDs?

They had Galton & Simpson Comedy up for release on March 7th, The Marty Feldman Comedy Machine up for release in June and another sitcom due in May and they have all disappeared from their site. They have announced quite a few TV drama new releases but no comedy whatsoever as far as I can see so what's going on? :(

Network have issued a statement on the matter today. In short, not cancelled but delayed for the moment.

We appreciate that some of you are disappointed, as we are, about the delays to some of the new ITV titles that we announced on our website. Just to keep you in the picture, the deeper into the archive we go the more complex the rights issues surrounding them can be. Some are easier than others to clear but if documentation is scarce, incomplete or sometimes missing altogether a full assessment has to be done from scratch, a time-consuming process wholly dependant on a multitude of factors.

The good news is that that vast majority of titles will ultimately get an airing and hopefully before the end of the year. We're just not in a position to name the day at this precise moment. We'll keep you posted as soon as we know more ourselves, though. We do really appreciate your patience and look forward to what's ahead.

Quote: Aaron @ 18th March 2016, 5:51 PM GMT

Network have issued a statement on the matter today. In short, not cancelled but delayed for the moment.

Ah at least now we know what the problem is.

Network have always said they can't comment on releases due to rights and such like so I ask why do they keep announcing stuff then pulling it from release surely they should be getting the rights sorted first and then telling people

There are numerous different types of rights, Dazzman.

The rights to release the series from the copyright holder (the original broadcaster or production company, usually) is the biggest block, and evidently cleared in these instances before they found trouble in securing the necessary rights agreements with individuals.

DVD release dates often change multiple times on older films/TV series.
I ordered a couple of Blu-rays back in November 2015 that were due out 3 weeks later (not Network ones), the release date has been changed several times since then, currently the release date is mid July.

Very frustrating, but when you finally get it, it feels like Christmas.

How come they have never released Beggar My Neighbour, which Reg Varney stars in?

Quote: george roper @ 23rd March 2016, 9:07 AM GMT

How come they have never released Beggar My Neighbour, which Reg Varney stars in?

Probably because it's a BBC series and they deal almost exclusively with ITV programmes.

Quote: george roper @ 23rd March 2016, 9:07 AM GMT

I think there's a chance that "Simply Media" could release what's left of it September 2017/2018. Think about it, every September for the past 3 years they have announced the release of A very old BBC sitcom where some of the series has been wiped.

2014: NOT IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN
2015: HUGH AND I
2016: MEET THE WIFE
2017: ????????? (could be Beggar My Neighbour) or Harry Worth / Here's Harry???

Yeah but I've not moaned at them to release Beggar My Neighbour yet. ;)

Nice to see Network have started to release vintage comedy again with the announcement of Sink Or Swim sitcom. I wonder if they have started working with the BBC because of the issues with the ITV shows. Let's hope that this and any further titles don't get delayed or cancelled.

Quote: marac @ 25th August 2016, 6:44 PM

Nice to see Network have started to release vintage comedy again with the announcement of Sink Or Swim sitcom. I wonder if they have started working with the BBC because of the issues with the ITV shows. Let's hope that this and any further titles don't get delayed or cancelled.

No, the renewed and expanded deal with BBC Worldwide came about before the delays on a number of the previously announced ITV archive releases.

What is the problem with Marty Feldman Comedy machine release, seemed all set to go and then nothing. This classic needs to be released, hope its only a short delay

Yes, I'm told it's just a short delay affecting a number of titles and they should be out in due course. They've not been cancelled.

The Galton & Simpson Comedy is now scheduled for release on 6th February 2017.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/group/galton_and_simpson_comedy/shop/4513/the_galton_simpson_comedy/

The Marty Feldman Comedy Machine still TBC.