Newsjack 2016 Page 18

Nothing for me this week. Did one liners about Mugabe's birthday party, Amazon delivering food, Trump, emergency training crews on the underground

I finally got something on! Had a few near misses so very pleased.

Well done to those that got on this week!

Two more to go...

Hello everyone, just a couple of questions: 1) how recent are the news stories you write about? I read somewhere that anything older than Saturday is old news.

2) Do you include a link to the news story in your submission?

Thanks!

Congratulations to everyone who got a good or an almost email, an excellent show last night. :)

Nothing for me again this week, thought I had some strong one liners but alas no! My one trick pony is a freaking unicorn. Well done to everyone who made it on.

No email for me this week - but just listened to the show and I had a one liner in & was in the credits. How they love to toy with us.

Congratulations to everyone else who made it in. Good show - loved the doctor sketch if anyone here wrote that.

Quote: Wisam N @ 4th March 2016, 12:19 AM GMT

Hello everyone, just a couple of questions: 1) how recent are the news stories you write about? I read somewhere that anything older than Saturday is old news.

Thanks!

Hi Wisam N :)

I only started submitting for Newsjack a fortnight ago, so take what follows with a pinch of salt.

If you mean html links to the relevant news article, then yes I have been including these for all my submissions based on advice from people on this forum.

If you mean 'links for Nish' to read out to introduce the story and situation, then again yes I have include these on all submitted sketches.

The official Newsjack advice is nothing before Saturday. However I've been keeping a list of all the sketches they've done so far this series and there is typically at least one sketch per episode that features earlier news.

Examples include the ' Dutch Eagles seeking drones sketch' from epi.1' or ' Archers producer moves to EastEnders mash up' from epi.3: both of which were reported at least 7 days before broadcast.

Bear in mind that I have a sample size of four episodes but... the earlier news sketches do seem to be the more random, smaller stories where the audience probably wouldn't have seen the original article anyway or remember what day it was in the news.

Similarly, stories that break in the scientific press tend to be picked up 4 or 5 days later by mainstream news. For example the ' Dutch Eagle' story was still being re-reported on day of broadcast.

Hope this helps

Quote: Wisam N @ 4th March 2016, 12:19 AM GMT

Thanks!

Hey, Wisam! I write one-liners for Newsjack (have been doing so for two series), and I'll write about whatever is a top world or UK story on Sundays and Mondays :)

Regarding the "link" (I assume this is for sketches) I remember there being some confusion at the time as to what this meant. IIRC they didn't mean a hyperlink, but an introduction for Nish to read to the sketch.

Quote: Bluemeany @ 4th March 2016, 11:34 AM GMT

Hi Wisam N :)

I only started submitting for Newsjack a fortnight ago, so take what follows with a pinch of salt.

If you mean html links to the relevant news article, then yes I have been including these for all my submissions based on advice from people on this forum.

If you mean 'links for Nish' to read out to introduce the story and situation, then again yes I have include these on all submitted sketches.

The official Newsjack advice is nothing before Saturday. However I've been keeping a list of all the sketches they've done so far this series and there is typically at least one sketch per episode that features earlier news.

Examples include the ' Dutch Eagles seeking drones sketch' from epi.1' or ' Archers producer moves to EastEnders mash up' from epi.3: both of which were reported at least 7 days before broadcast.

Bear in mind that I have a sample size of four episodes but... the earlier news sketches do seem to be the more random, smaller stories where the audience probably wouldn't have seen the original article anyway or remember what day it was in the news.

Similarly, stories that break in the scientific press tend to be picked up 4 or 5 days later by mainstream news. For example the ' Dutch Eagle' story was still being re-reported on day of broadcast.

Hope this helps

Hey thanks for responding!

Yeah the former is what I was referring to, though I do also include an introduction before the dialogue. I'm new to this as well, only done "regular" stand up so far so topical comedy is a whole new field for me that I'm hoping to get better at. Too bad this show only runs for 6 episodes.

Quote: DuckingAround @ 4th March 2016, 4:33 PM GMT

Hey, Wisam! I write one-liners for Newsjack (have been doing so for two series), and I'll write about whatever is a top world or UK story on Sundays and Mondays :)

Regarding the "link" (I assume this is for sketches) I remember there being some confusion at the time as to what this meant. IIRC they didn't mean a hyperlink, but an introduction for Nish to read to the sketch.

Hey DuckingAround!

Nope I wasnt referring to the sketch introduction. So I guess it's Saturday at the latest for big stories and a bit older for more obscure science/technology ones

Quote: Wisam N @ 4th March 2016, 4:58 PM GMT

Hey thanks for responding!
So I guess it's Saturday at the latest for big stories and a bit older for more obscure science/technology ones

Just in case it's useful to anyone else, this is a list of the sketches on last night's episode with the day the initial story broke online alongside them. :) Apologies if there are any errors, but I'm just working off Google News feed.

1.) David Cameron on tour: Saturday
2.) Boris Johnson likening himself to Bond: Saturday
3.) Your mother's parliament ( from 'tuck your shirt' in jibe): Over seven days before broadcast
4.) Doctors feeling rejected ( 1st March, Tuesday - after deadline so probably written by commissioned writer)
5.) Clean for the Queen: you do the hard work so G4S don't have to - Saturday for initial story but lots of follow up articles in Sunday papers
6.) Hip young millennial advert for a gap year: Saturday
7.) Facebook legal system - can't find original story.
8.) The Jump/ Z list Zombies: Saturday

It was a one-liner of mine that made it in last night:

"UK net migration reaches 323,000. Nation agrees that's too many nets."

Quote: Bluemeany @ 4th March 2016, 5:42 PM GMT

Just in case it's useful to anyone else, this is a list of the sketches on last night's episode with the day the initial story broke online alongside them. :) Apologies if there are any errors, but I'm just working off Google News feed.

3.) Your mother's parliament ( from 'tuck your shirt' in jibe): Over seven days before broadcast
4.) Doctors feeling rejected ( 1st March, Tuesday - after deadline so probably written by commissioned writer)
5.) Clean for the Queen: you do the hard work so G4S don't have to - Saturday for initial story but lots of follow up articles in Sunday papers

Interesting stuff! Listening to the "your mother's parliament" sketch last night I thought - aside from "this is funny" - is this story still relevant? Would've thought the sketch would be one for the previous episode!

Quote: Bluemeany @ 4th March 2016, 5:42 PM GMT

The Jump sketch was actually written for episode 2 so it's older than you thought, but I rejected it in favour of sketches based around newer stories. It was only because I had come up with next to nothing last weekend that I re-animated it. Also, thankfully celebrities were still falling and being replaced on Monday http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/29/heather-mills-leaves-the-jump-after-injury I count myself very lucky they took it on seeing as it had been stewing on my laptop for a fortnight.

Quote: Mrkgrngr @ 4th March 2016, 7:45 PM GMT

The Jump sketch was actually written for episode 2 so it's older than you thought, but I rejected it in favour of sketches based around newer stories. It was only because I had come up with next to nothing last weekend that I re-animated it. Also, thankfully celebrities were still falling and being replaced on Monday http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/29/heather-mills-leaves-the-jump-after-injury I count myself very lucky they took it on seeing as it had been stewing on my laptop for a fortnight.

I really liked that sketch; it was a neat idea. Particularly the whole 'fammmme' bit.

It's also interesting to see what wasn't in: zero sketches on Oscars or US election/super Tuesday - although both were covered extensively in Nish's monologue.