Comedy Playhouse 2016: Hospital People

Happened to catch this the other night - not bad, but has no legs I fear. The sad thing for me is that for example, I quite believe the management of NHS hospitals are as f**king useless as portrayed in this.

I felt it was good for a one off episode.
I think the characters are a little too one dimensional to carry a whole series.

Looks like the next one "Broken Biscuits" might be better with a nod to Alan Bennett and co-written by Craig Cash, and starring Alison Steadman, Stephanie Cole, Timothy West and Alun Armstrong. Part set in a B&B, which will be interesting to my wife and I since we retired from running one.

I'll try to watch in iPlayer.

You say it has no legs Herc? Have they been amputated by mistake?

Is it like Green Wing or not so good? Reminds me I'll have to watch the DVDs.

Quote: Chappers @ 28th February 2016, 6:42 PM GMT

I'll try to watch in iPlayer.

You say it has no legs Herc? Have they been amputated by mistake?

Is it like Green Wing or not so good? Reminds me I'll have to watch the DVDs.

Enough with your corny puns already - you know they don't work on me......maybe lesser mortals with limited brain cells on this forum.

Apart from the word "hospital" it is as far removed from Green Wing as you can be - it's a mockumentary, which doesn't quite work, and haven't they had their day now?

The DJ looks a spit of Jonathan King. Was that intentional?

Who is the "Manageress"?

Ah - it's all the same bloke. Looking good.

The main bloke (Tom Binns) is a huge tallent (and quite local too, being from Sheffield), but I have to say the episode was a bit of a drag to watch.

Maybe the potrayal of the manageress put me off.....because it's so accurate as to how many people in industry actually are.

The show was filmed in my local hospital, Hartlepool. What's left of it - A&E, maternity and several other wards have been gradually taken away and the place is like a ghost town now.

I saw Tom Binns live at a comedy gig in Hartlepool last night. He did three spots as Ian D Montfort, himself and DJ Ivan Brackenbury. He was brilliant as all three and got more than one standing ovation.

Two episodes into a new series and still genuinely perplexed how this got a series in 2017 (appreciate that fly-on-the-wall-mockumentaries were so fashionable in 2001 that its sketch-show-by-numbers characters, lack of plot or tension and general tone deafness towards what actually happens in hospitals might have been overlooked). Feels like a first year film class got asked to turn a League of Gents sketch into a full length series and he drew the short straw and got assigned 'Mike King - Hospital DJ'.
At least he can act a bit, I guess, but I thought you had to be Walliams/Lucas to be able to phone this stuff in.