Laugh??? I Nearly Paid My Licence Fee

I thought this was a great series from the early eighties. Given who its stars were - Ron Bain, Louise Gold, John Sessions and Robbie Coltrane - its strange that its never been released on DVD or repeated recently. I know it was repeated on UK Gold in the '90's. I have five of the six episodes and despite poor video quality ( as well as the episodes being incomplete ) it still manages to be enjoyable. Anyone else remember it?

One of the stand out characters was an Orangeman named Mason Boyne, played by Coltrane.

Yes, remember it well and have a couple of episodes I saved to VHS, which are now on DVD.

The skit that always sticks in my mind was the John Session one where they took the piss out of B&W French "art" films.

How many episodes do you have exactly? And were they recordings from at the time or UK Gold re-runs?

Yeah, I remember this. I saw the first episode and I didn't really 'get' it, I was too Young. Or thick. The second had a long sketch about a guy dying on a game show but getting his prize anyway. My mother thought it was too much and wouldn't let me watch it again. Funny cos she let me watch The Who's Tommy.
Similar to A Kick Up The 80s and Naked Video.
UK Gold are butchers. The way they ''''''''edited'''''''' Happy Families makes Horn and Lipson look like Razormaid.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 13th February 2016, 10:37 AM GMT

Similar to A Kick Up The 80s and Naked Video.

Yes, well came pretty much from the same very good stable of Scottish progs./writers/performers - as it happens I was just scanning through a Kick Up the 80s this morning and had forgotten that the likes of Tracey Ullman and Miriam Margolyes were in it.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th February 2016, 11:16 AM GMT

I was just scanning through a Kick Up the 80s this morning and had forgotten that the likes of Tracey Ullman and Miriam Margolyes were in it.

Also Kevin Turvey.
I remember a gruesome video nasty song on the first ep of Kick Up 80s Series 2. Digging it out on YouTube it's quite mild but the combination of my tender years and surprise disturbed me back then. Shame cos most of it was awesome.

Kevin was a given - OK, and Richard Stilgoe. ;)

Stilgo only did the first series. Kevin did both and was fab.

Yes Pleased