Round The Horne Page 3

I concur completely. Was definitely based on Eamonn Andrews who was a very big star at the time and paved the way for Irish personalities such as Wogan in the UK.
I thought the impersonation was perfect and very funny.

Quote: Agnes Guano @ 26th November 2010, 10:04 AM GMT

Playing this the other day, I do love a bit of Syd:

Ah yes. I've got the CD of this.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 9th February 2016, 10:36 PM GMT

Eamonn Andrews is the origin of Seamus Android; he used to have non-sequiturs like "talking of Tibetan sheep herding" and such like. Seamus's guests always seemed to be Felix Alymer (Williams) and Zsa Zsa Gabor.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th February 2016, 11:09 PM GMT

I concur completely. Was definitely based on Eamonn Andrews who was a very big star at the time and paved the way for Irish personalities such as Wogan in the UK.
I thought the impersonation was perfect and very funny.

Ah yes.

Excellent - thanks!

I know many of the jokes are hackneyed, and simply being gay isn't as funny as it once was, but I love RTH. If pushed, I prefer it the The Goons. :O

Quote: gappy @ 10th February 2016, 10:34 AM GMT

If pushed, I prefer it the The Goons. :O

I see your :O and raise you :O :O

Quote: gappy @ 10th February 2016, 10:34 AM GMT

I know many of the jokes are hackneyed, and simply being gay isn't as funny as it once was, but I love RTH. If pushed, I prefer it the The Goons. :O

I love RTH - great acting, great writing - the brilliant Feldman and Took - and I genuinely believe that Kenneth Horne was the best lynchpin in that sort of context. Excellent voice and timing. He himself has a timeless quality that isn't easy to describe. Whenever I hear him he says "Britain" to me just as "Family Favoutites" did. The main joke in the very loud Jules and Sandy is surely one on the Establishment that presided over a regime demanding discretion. Mostly, though, RTH is about wordplay whether it is theirs or Rumpole's or Charles and Fiona's etc etc.

Has anyone read Marty Feldman quite late autobiography?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 10th February 2016, 12:17 PM GMT

I haven't read it - but I'm a huge Marty Feldman fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTcx_IaI8BY :)

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 10th February 2016, 12:17 PM GMT

Yes, but it was some years ago now.

I was sold on this show when I heard it randomly one day with -

'Will you join me in a glass of Port?'

'Only if you can find a glass big enough'!!

Superb.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th February 2016, 7:11 PM GMT

Yes, but it was some years ago now.

It's only just come out, Herc?

See Amazon product listing

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 12th July 2016, 8:38 AM BST

It's only just come out, Herc?

No, not the one I read 5 years ago:-

That's by Robert Ross. If you bought it as an autobiography...

Round the Horne is coarse, occasionally vulgar, rude and has characters who are outlandish and appear to go out of their way to upstage each other. It is also blisteringly funny. It ended before I was born but even now after seeing many modern comics who set out to shock, I wonder how this show was even aired in those still repressed days. Highly recommended.

Quote: paulted @ 12th July 2016, 7:33 PM BST

Round the Horne is coarse, occasionally vulgar, rude and has characters who are outlandish and appear to go out of their way to upstage each other. It is also blisteringly funny. It ended before I was born but even now after seeing many modern comics who set out to shock, I wonder how this show was even aired in those still repressed days. Highly recommended.

Because no ordinary people had any idea what it was all about.