Alan Davies: As Yet Untitled Page 5

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 3rd November 2015, 6:09 PM GMT

It sounds like a producers dream. Not even a panel show set, just a table and chairs. No script writer (tell 'em just to chat and tell a few jokes/anecdotes). Simple camera shots, nothing flash needed or warranted. Don't even bother with a proper title for the programme. There'll be a few appearance fees to pay but that's about it. As a viewer I can match that - don't even bother to switch on.

But that's the one great thing about modern media - there's plenty more stuff to watch all over the place - old and new - so each to his own.

Absolutely - it's a great format, isn't it. I'm sure I read though, here on the good old BCG that it was putting some comedy writers' noses out of joint? Saying that, maybe I dreamt it?

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 3rd November 2015, 6:08 PM GMT

I'm not usually ne for telling people to lighten up but... For me it's more like being in the company of four genuinely funny people without the need for a script, it's a joy to watch/listen to every week. Once someone sets the ball rolling,the riffing between the guests is great.

The riffing and banter between the guests is fab, I agree :)

Quote: Hugh Pitcher @ 3rd November 2015, 4:53 PM GMT

I find it extraordinary that these comics have the smug, self satisfied arrogance to believe that people should want to sit nearby to listen to them having a laugh.....not joining in, not being spoken to, just allowed to sit nearby to listen to the clever comics being clever. Do the same people that listen to this kind of oh so clever smugness also turn up to watch 'celebrities' showing off like peacocks at red carpet do's? Shouldn't we all be getting a life?

You're writing about a comedy show on a comedy website matey. I have a full and interesting life thanks* and no, I don't stalk celebrities.

*Some people may disagree; my parents for one.

Quote: Hugh Pitcher @ 3rd November 2015, 4:53 PM GMT

I find it extraordinary that these comics have the smug, self satisfied arrogance to believe that people should want to sit nearby to listen to them having a laugh.....not joining in, not being spoken to, just allowed to sit nearby to listen to the clever comics being clever. Do the same people that listen to this kind of oh so clever smugness also turn up to watch 'celebrities' showing off like peacocks at red carpet do's? Shouldn't we all be getting a life?

Those is pretty much my impression of the show also. I just don't *get it*.

The advert for it too is cringeworthy.

I've watched some non-shows before, remember that thing with Justin Lee Collins where he would just flick through Sky TV. I found that more entertaining than this show.

Personally I think it's a good show but it would be a boring existence if we all liked the same things.

Quote: alan1967 @ 17th December 2015, 4:29 PM GMT

Personally I think it's a good show but it would be a boring existence if we all liked the same things.

Absolutely.

Saying that, the Christmas episode was a bit ropey.

I find the concept of this show a bit cringey.

A table, centred in the studio in a fish bowl type set-up with four or five guests (mostly comedians) more often than not talking utter crap for most of the time.

The audience part is definitely the worst bit. The show would be better without the audience lurking in the background like some unwanted desperate crowd hoping to be in amongst the joke.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 12th January 2016, 11:56 AM GMT

I find the concept of this show a bit cringey.

A table, centred in the studio in a fish bowl type set-up with four or five guests (mostly comedians) more often than not talking utter crap for most of the time.

The audience part is definitely the worst bit. The show would be better without the audience lurking in the background like some unwanted desperate crowd hoping to be in amongst the joke.

The people in the audience always seem to pulling odd expressions when the camera fixes on a specific guest. It's recorded in The Royal Hospital Club in Covent Garden.

Dream line up:

Matt Berry
Dan Renton Skinner
Kathy Burke
Chris Morris
Paul Kaye

If couldn't all squeeze round, Alan could just watch from audience.

My dream line up would be four Bob Mortimers.

Quote: zooo @ 6th February 2016, 9:20 AM GMT

My dream line up would be four Bob Mortimers.

Adore him too, but don't think any of the others have been on.

Kathy Burke and Matt Berry would definitely be amazing. Am surprised Kathy hasn't been on, actually!

I thought that last week's episode featuring: Lucy Montgomery, Bob Mortimer, Miles Jupp and Russell Kane was pretty funny. Bob's story about being the 'Cockroach King of South London' was great.

Quote: fopdoodle @ 6th February 2016, 5:02 AM GMT

Dream line up:

Matt Berry
Dan Renton Skinner
Kathy Burke
Chris Morris
Paul Kaye

If couldn't all squeeze round, Alan could just watch from audience.

As much as I think he can be very funny as a writer and character comedian, I've never seen Chris Morris tell an anecdote. I don't think he's be a good choice for a show like this.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 6th February 2016, 2:19 PM GMT

I thought that last week's episode featuring: Lucy Montgomery, Bob Mortimer, Miles Jupp and Russell Kane was pretty funny. Bob's story about being the 'Cockroach King of South London' was great.

Lucy Montgomery - I like her, could be good
Bob Mortimer - Always brilliant on shows like this
Miles Jupp - Very funny, looking forward to this one
Russell Kane - Oh. Damn. Now I can't watch it as the risk of ending up with an injured foot and a broken telly are far too high.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 6th February 2016, 11:18 PM GMT

As much as I think he can be very funny as a writer and character comedian, I've never seen Chris Morris tell an anecdote. I don't think he's be a good choice for a show like this.

Lucy Montgomery - I like her, could be good
Bob Mortimer - Always brilliant on shows like this
Miles Jupp - Very funny, looking forward to this one
Russell Kane - Oh. Damn. Now I can't watch it as the risk of ending up with an injured foot and a broken telly are far too high.

I know what you mean about Russell Kane - he is rather annoying (maybe it's a comedian/Russell thing), but fear not - he wasn't permitted to dominate proceedings too much.

Dream Line Up:

Alan Davies (obviously)

Stephen Fry
Bob Mortimer
Paul Merton
Jennifer Saunders or Kathy Burke

Just realised that there is no one young in that line up. I think the show is at its best when the more experienced performers tell stories from their careers.

Only reason I didn't pick Stephen Fry is:

A: Is so loved and respected by everyone as national treasure that may be intimidating to others.

B: Could resemble QI except round a table.

Wish I could have thought of more girlies - Jennifer Saunders another definite, and Lucy Montgomery was fab (loved her in fight scene on IT Crowd with Berry).