Subversive British Comedy

Hi all,

I'm looking at writing an article about the lack of subversive comedy on British television at the moment. While the darkness of the Thatcher years were fertile times for satire on the BBC and Channel 4 had Brass Eye in the 90s. There seems to be slim picking today despite the shower of shit in parliament. Would everyone agree or am I missing something? Cheers.

I guess from your post that in this sense you want "subversive" to mean "sticking it to the establishment"?

There's plenty around that's subversive in one way or another, but some in terms of not toeing the mainstream line in comedy, rather than being satirical.

Being a left wing liberal I find solace in Have I Got News For You, Russell Howard's Good News and Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe to scratch my satirical itch. Whether they are subversive is subjective however.

The Good Life.

Newsjacks (which starts 11th Feb) is pure political satire. As are the Spectator and Private Eye.

Also Jeremy Harding and Mark Steel are currently on the radio and are normally politically subversive whenever they get the chance.

Political satire works best with characatures. Extreme strongly defined views. Hence Hitler, Thatcher and Scargill were perfect. Since Blair moved Labour to the centre there isn't the contrast in British Politics. What does Cameron stand for ? Also they need to be a threat for satire to have value, so Corbyn doesn't do it either. Where as America is rich pickings right now; Donald Trump, Sarah Palin, the gun lobby - yeeehaaaa , game on !

So Cheese Pasta what's your take on all this ?

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 3rd February 2016, 12:54 PM GMT

Also they need to be a threat for satire to have value, so Corbyn doesn't do it either.

Woah, woah! Not a threat? To what?!