Current radio comedy Page 132

Didn't really get into his recent 'Double Acts' but finally listened to the last two episodes of Cabin Pressure. Not the best episodes but they did close the series well with some nice setups/jokes and nods to earlier episodes.

Les Kelly's Britain. Very enjoyable.

Most current comedy on Radio 4 is woeful. I'm no misogynist or sexist but since the late Linda Smith I've hardly found any comedienne funny least of all Trodd and Bratt, Laura Solon and Bridget Christie. R4E is also replaying a lot of dire stuff from the 50s-70s like The Navy Lark. Jon Pertwee gets right on my tits in this. Then there's I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again and this may sound like sacrilege but HHH doesn't always hit the mark.
Much of the good stuff is coming from John Finnemore and Christopher Douglas (Podmore and Ed Reardon). Also quite like Gloomsbury and North by Northamptonshire.

Quote: Alexei Q @ 15th January 2016, 10:44 AM GMT

Ed Reardon

Angry

Jon Pertwee gets right on my tits in this.

:O

His voice irritates the heck out of me

Do you listen to Navy Lark for Leslie Phillips?

Radio 4 is worth a listen

Not a great deal of good radio comedy lately... I liked "Shush!" which was on a month or two ago, with Rebecca Front. And Cold Swedish Winter had a few good moments too.

Quote: gappy @ 9th January 2016, 9:22 PM GMT

Finnemore is incredible, and can turn his hand to so many different sorts of comedy...but, dare I say it, he's shit at writing songs, and should stop.

I rather enjoyed Bring It On A Plate; the Cerberus one not so much.

Isy Suttie is doing herself no favours hosting the Comedy Club on R4 Extra this week with her inane cleaning lady character. Couldn't be more unfunny. Isy is talented, no doubt, when she sticks to what she's good at. She's also not the only comedian guilty of cluttering up the Comedy Club hosting gig with drivel. It's about time R4 Extra exercised some quality control.

Quote: italophile @ 24th March 2016, 8:46 AM GMT

Isy Suttie is doing herself

:O

I enjoyed Stanley Holloway's memories on Radio 4 Extra even if it was with that Freeman bloke who I have issues with because of what he did to Hancock. Anyhow, Stanley. Not a Yorkshire man. Rather a posh Sarf Londoner with a background in nutta and jetta (but then haven't we all in one way or another). Plus a luvvie love for the word "dahling". Also Kenneth Williams's school reports. That on the programme what followed it. Quite the model pupil.

Quote: Geffers @ 24th February 2016, 1:24 PM GMT

Not a great deal of good radio comedy lately... I liked "Shush!" which was on a month or two ago, with Rebecca Front. And Cold Swedish Winter had a few good moments too.

I almost gave up on Shush as it seemed pretty predictable but then they threw in some left field stuff that kept me interested. Worth another series to see where it goes.

Also enjoyed Dot for similar reasons in just as you think its going down the Terry and June 1970s predictable comedy it does a handbrake turn.

Loving the News Quiz with Miles Jupp at the helm. Much improved without the vastly overrated Sandi Toksvig.

She's not vastly overrated, one of the better wits around. Agree, though, that Miles Jupp is doing a great job. The News Quiz needs to reinvent itself every once in a while and Miles is the breath of fresh air. Plays the posh card beautifully when need be, can match anyone else for acerbic when need be. And the linking gags have improved 100% with Miles' long-term co-writer James Kettle contributing.