Steptoe And Son Page 2

Awesome sitcom, awful film. Years ago I wrote an article on the difficulty of stretching pressure-cooker sitcoms and dragging them out over a movie and this is a case in point.

Is Are You Being Served another?

Missed that one. I don't like posting to other sites but I once asked about it here and they said OK so: http://www.chortle.co.uk/correspondents/2008/05/12/6770/movie_madness.

Can I add Mrs. Brown's Boys D'Movie as it is utter garbage. Regarding the Steptoe & Son movies, I quite liked them. I suppose it's all down to personal preferences.

I think the Steptoe films were good films-I don't think this is what Michael is getting at?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 31st December 2015, 11:03 PM GMT

I think the Steptoe films were good films-I don't think this is what Michael is getting at?

Probably compared to the TV series the film wasn't so good but if you take it on its own merits it was still quite good.

The film is very good, no question, an adult film version of the sitcom with some tits in it. All sitcom movies should strive for this, alas in this miserable PC age they're not allowed to/too scared to upset our PC guardians.

The next film was even better and way funnier because they dropped the adult stuff and theme of Harold finally trying to leave Albert but failing. If you want that personal drama side then you have the excellent first film. If you want the more sitcommy hilarity then put Ride Again on, which I do from time to time, it's absolutely smashing it is.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 1st January 2016, 9:56 AM GMT

some tits in it. All sitcom movies should strive for this

A fine objective indeed. Maybe that's why they never made a film of Fawlty Towers, Sybil refused to get her jugs out. Cow.

JUst watched this film again last night, such a classic, stuck in the sink with the flash
Brilliant

Excellent film that stands up well against the TV series IMO. Ride Again is just as good too.

Quote: G180e @ 27th December 2019, 1:55 PM

Excellent film that stands up well against the TV series IMO.

Now that IS funny!

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 30th December 2019, 4:30 PM

Now that IS funny!

Although an episode like "The Offer" would be regarded as funnier than the film, many of the scenarios from the film could have just been lifted from the TV show; it's not as if there was a complete rewriting here. IMDb mark the film as 6.7/10 and the sitcom as 7.7/10 so it appears many people can't see that much of a difference?

The first film suffers a tad, in its reuse of plot points from the TV series (Harold getting married, trying to leave Albert, the embarrassment of introducing girlfriends to Albert etc). Ride Again, IMO, is a cracking watch! I never fail to laugh when they're trying different glasses on their greyhound. "Oh they're nice, look it matches your coat"