Sitcom characters you never see Page 17

Other than the fact that you don't need to cast anyone for the part, what is the function of an unseen character? Is it like in horror movies, in that the monster is always scarier in the dark?

Quote: Nogget @ 2nd December 2015, 6:15 AM GMT

Other than the fact that you don't need to cast anyone for the part, what is the function of an unseen character? Is it like in horror movies, in that the monster is always scarier in the dark?

If you want a running gag about a character based on Mythical and exaggerated physical appearance, then it's funnier if you don't see that character. So Norm's wife (Cheers) is gargantuan in size and a nag, and Frasier's sister in-law Medith is wafer thin and neurotic. These can also be just 2 dimensional characters.

The other big advantage is a character needs to have redeeming features for us to laugh with them otherwise it feels cruel, however if they are never there then it's acceptable to bitch them up.

I can't be bothered to look back to see who has been mentioned, and I can't remember if I've contributed before, but I've been watching series 2 of It Takes A Worried Man. It has a larger cast of characters off screen than on.

It rather gives the lie to the received wisdom of 'show don't tell'. Like they say the pictures in your head are always better...

Not read the entire thread but aren't the Mainwarings on a sleeper train in one episode? We only see Mrs M in silhouette but that's it. I think.

How about Mr Slater from Sooty and Paddington Bear's aunt? Although she is in the film.

Quote: longtime firstime @ 14th December 2015, 4:54 PM GMT

Not read the entire thread but aren't the Mainwarings on a sleeper train in one episode? We only see Mrs M in silhouette but that's it. I think.

Close, but no it was in bunk beds in an Anderson shelter I recollect and you only saw the outline of her big bum, as she was above him.

Can't remember the episode exactly, but it may have been when Mainwaring ate some cheese and had a weird dream................or maybe I'm mixing two up together. :S

But it was def. bunk beds.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th December 2015, 5:05 PM GMT

....or maybe I'm mixing two up together. :S

No, you're absolutely right. But I can't remember the dream...was it the Battle of Waterloo one?

Yes! Just done a bit of research and we are right - it is "A Soldier's Farewell", where he has a cheese supper and then has the Battle of Waterloo dream, which was very funny!

** Edit Of course! Hodges called Mainwaring Napoleon. :D It all ties in!

This all comes about in his dream from the film the squad had been seeing at the cinema earlier, which was about Naploeon, and when the film had finished, they all legged it when the national anthem played - apart from Mainwaring of course. Laughing out loud

Hmmm, I started to write something else about them being in a film or looking back to the past and now that has got me thinking - what is the one where they are all in the desert fighting one of Jones' wars? Or am I getting that one mixed up with this one. There was a very funny scene where Hodges was playing the part of a local Arab and when Jones (?) went to torture him with a flaming torch he kept shouting "Put that light out!"..........again hilarious.

Edit again! Got it! It was "The Two and a Half Feathers" where some new recruit turns up and erroneously accused Jones of being a coward in a battle in the Sudan.

Phew, am going to have to lie down now.

I don't like dream episodes, I usually skip them after the first watch, that's probably why I'm confusing them with each other.

:O Oh! I thought both of those were brilliant.

Admittedly not a sitcom but the mother in the 'Normal' family sketches in Absolutley I thought was brilliant but as it was only the face you never see I don't know if she could be accepted.
I just like the way that whenever you about to see her (or his seeing as she was played by Gordon Banks) face something got in the way, same goes for Mina the wife of Navid in Still Game.

Quote: Nogget @ 2nd December 2015, 6:15 AM GMT

Other than the fact that you don't need to cast anyone for the part, what is the function of an unseen character?

What is the function of a seen character? It's just someone to interact with or talk about, I guess.

Why shouldn't characters be unseen? Do you want God to appear in Father Ted? Mohammed to appear in Four Lions? Maybe He should?

The question is, what's the function of an unseen character compared to that of a seen character.

I liked Nick's answer, thank you sir.

Surely that's another question? Sorry you don't like my answer. It remains an answer, anywho.

I quite liked Dave's dad when he didn't appear in The Royle Family. Jim constantly described him as 'lazy', 'tight' and a 'hop-a-long'. When we finally got to meet him on Christmas Day turns out he was quite affable with each limb reaching the ground at the same time.

Anyone said Joe Maplin or Mrs Barraclough yet? If not I'm saying them.