Question about on-set background window 'views'

I have always been fascinated at how the prop set people manage to make the views out of the window look so realistic?

When I was a nipper, I could have swore blind that the Trotter household really was filmed in Nelson Mandela House. It was that convincing. Same with Father Ted.

Did they use green screen back in the 80's or did they use computer graphics (such as it was back then) or a rather large photo? Or was nothing used until a live recording went into post-edit and any graphic related view is implemented from there on (for video/dvd release) etc.

Fawlty Towers never convinced me mind :D The outside view from the reception area really did look like a student painting.

Part 2 of my thread is for anyone who has watched a sitcom being filmed live. What is the process? Is it done in order? Do you watch any off set filming on a large TV then the lights in the studio switch back on ready for the on-set stuff?

I'm not sure but they must use a big photo like a canvas and the blast it with bright light to simulate the sun and desort any giveaways.

I've only attended two tapings (Will & Grace and The Drew Carey Show) and both were filmed in order. The various rooms of the houses were situated side by side from left to right and they'd just move everyone and the cameras to whatever room they were filming. I think there were just fake trees, grass and shrubs outside the windows.

There was always a host comedian in the audience to keep everyone laughing in between takes -- recording the audience's laughter was the whole reason for filming in front of an audience. They handed out bottles of water and pizza if the filming ran longer than intended.

Quote: DaButt @ 8th December 2015, 6:48 PM GMT

They handed out bottles of water and pizza if the filming ran longer than intended.

Water? :O Thought there would have been something stronger than that to encourage them laugh even more inanely.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 8th December 2015, 6:08 PM GMT

I have always been fascinated at how the prop set people manage to make the views out of the window look so realistic?

When I was a nipper, I could have swore blind that the Trotter household really was filmed in Nelson Mandela House. It was that convincing. Same with Father Ted.

Did they use green screen back in the 80's or did they use computer graphics (such as it was back then) or a rather large photo? Or was nothing used until a live recording went into post-edit and any graphic related view is implemented from there on (for video/dvd release) etc.

Fawlty Towers never convinced me mind :D The outside view from the reception area really did look like a student painting.

Part 2 of my thread is for anyone who has watched a sitcom being filmed live. What is the process? Is it done in order? Do you watch any off set filming on a large TV then the lights in the studio switch back on ready for the on-set stuff?

The view from the window is a backcloth, now and then. Audience sitcoms are shot in order, and pre-recorded material is played in on monitors.

I was there when they filmed this scene. It took 5 or 6 takes before the actresses could get through it with a straight face. Maybe they'd been drinking something stronger than water?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AdAw9S647M

Laughing out loud

Usually it's a large painting, but can now be a photo, yes.

Yes, exactly that.

The best ones were on Acorn Antiques. Rolling eyes

They would be shown in order with the studio bits done over and over until it was right and then the outside bits would be shown on a screen in the right places.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th December 2015, 10:58 PM GMT

The best ones were on Acorn Antiques. Rolling eyes

...which were almost as bad as the views outside the staff chalets in Hi-De-Hi.