Supermarkets. Page 3

I love Lidl. You never really know what half of the stuff is, like when you're on holiday. And they do fun Twix and Milky Way copies.

I enjoy Lidl too. What they lack in general stock, they make up in original stock, like cured meats.

Quote: Lee @ 28th November 2015, 10:34 AM GMT

I enjoy Lidl too. What they lack in general stock, they make up in original stock, like cured meats.

And things like Kangaroo Steaks!

HEB opened a supermarket near my house about 18 months ago and it's been very convenient. Best of all, it has a restaurant and bar. The food is quite good and they smoke brisket, ribs and other meat on the premises. The bar always has 7 Texas craft beers on tap. It's a convenient diversion while shopping.

This is my brisket sandwich from a couple of weeks ago:

Is that potato salad?
I flipping love potato salad.

Quote: zooo @ 28th November 2015, 5:17 PM GMT

Is that potato salad?
I flipping love potato salad.

It certainly is. And so do I.

Quote: DaButt @ 28th November 2015, 5:18 PM GMT

It certainly is. And so do I.

So do I! My many American friends in the 70s certainly knew how to make it, and what seems missing in yours that they put me on to was finely chopped fried bacon and spring onions mixed in with it.

Deeeeeelicious!!!!!!!!!!

Not been in one for years, my wife does the lot.
Nothing misogynistic or anything like that but it was one of the situations where we regularly had a fall out.

I don't know why but if a barny was brewing it would surface in the middle of the shop. One word out of place from me and there was 'storming off' hissed oaths and divorce threats.

An example; She would wander off into the clothes department and I was left with the trolley for up to half an hour. (well it felt like that) Eventually returning with 6 or 7 items of clothing on coat hangers.
If I said 'I thought we were going food shopping' it was enough to start world war 3.
And the day I stood innocently chatting to an ex-girlfriend was the beginning of the end for my supermarket days....

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st December 2015, 9:19 AM GMT

Not been in one for years, my wife does the lot.
Nothing misogynistic or anything like that but it was one of the situations where we regularly had a fall out.

I don't know why but if a barny was brewing it would surface in the middle of the shop. One word out of place from me and there was 'storming off' hissed oaths and divorce threats.

An example; She would wander off into the clothes department and I was left with the trolley for up to half an hour. (well it felt like that) Eventually returning with 6 or 7 items of clothing on coat hangers.
If I said 'I thought we were going food shopping' it was enough to start world war 3.
And the day I stood innocently chatting to an ex-girlfriend was the beginning of the end for my supermarket days....

Anybody can see you were obviously in the wrong on both counts.

Laughing out loud

I shop in M&S most Sunday mornings.

German organisation? >_< Pah! Couldn't organise a piss up in a wine giveaway. They hardly had any to give away! They underestimated the British yet again, when will the krauts learn? Tut tut. Their sales will slump now as people flock back to Tesco, we Brits don't like being conned.

And I popped in recently early on Saturday morning for bread and there wasn't any! Apparently a power cut had stopped the baking machine. They've also stopped selling two of the three main things I go in there for. I also find the whole isles of odd things like ski boots and diving helmets particularly strange. Leave the supermarket thing to us, Fritz, we're pretty good at organising things ourselves, as you really should know by now! England

Don't forget your pork sausages from Tesco...... a bit of hepatitis E never hurt anybody

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 27th August 2017, 9:54 AM

Leave the supermarket thing to us, Fritz, we're pretty good at organising things ourselves, as you really should know by now! England

'Cept Football. Eh?

I got to sample a few of your local (to the UK) supermarket options while in Edinburgh, and Sainsbury's usually had what I was actually looking for if I was looking for something specific (usually red bull at the fringe :O ) and Tescos was just alright. Nothing terribly exciting. The prices weren't bad. But I much preferred the wild experience of going up Lidl. I never knew what I wanted going in, and came out not knowing what exactly I had just bought or even what had just happened in the chaos of the store experience. Twice I went in looking for something cheap and portable for dinner, and ended up with some sort of weird salad thing with loads of pasta and shredded carrots and lettuce and mystery sauce. Whatever it was, it's not available in the US. It didn't taste great, and in one case food poisoned me....but no regrets! Lidl all the way!

When I got back to the states and drove past a Walmart I thought to myself...why is that so friggin huge?!