I've just seen... Page 407

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th August 2015, 10:31 PM BST

Nein Nein! Ich notten einen Voodentoppens!

:D

The Scandalous Lady W which I'd recorded back in August. Based on a true story. Nicely done. Featured Oliver Chris (Bluestone 42 and Green Wing), and Jessica Gunning (Inside No. 9). Strong main performances. For a historical period piece, not at all stodgy.

How I Live Now. Disappointing, especially considering the star and director. But watchable in a Swallows And Amazons and Occasional Threat Of Gang Rape kind of way.

Any opinions on Looper, which was on telly a few weeks ago? I rather liked it. Preferred it to Brick, by the same writer-director, which was hyped up a lot. The young kid was great in Looper - his facial expressions were pretty terrifying, even on the small screen.

Aside from the weird things they do to Joseph Gordon-Levitt's face to make him look like a young Bruce Willis, Looper's great. I particularly like the weird relationship between the Jeff Daniels character and Kid Blue. You don't know whether he's Jeff Daniel's younger self or not, and he's trying to mould him. By smashing his hand with a hammer.

Quote: chipolata @ 23rd November 2015, 5:37 PM GMT

Aside from the weird things they do to Joseph Gordon-Levitt's face to make him look like a young Bruce Willis, Looper's great. I particularly like the weird relationship between the Jeff Daniels character and Kid Blue. You don't know whether he's Jeff Daniel's younger self or not, and he's trying to mould him. By smashing his hand with a hammer.

:)

Usually a good sign when Jeff's in something. Always liked him since The Purple Rose of Cairo. Just noticed he was in another movie with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Scott Frank's The Lookout.

Rian Johnson's previous movie (after Brick) has a nice cast too, The Brothers Bloom - Rachel Weisz, Adrien Brody, Mark Ruffalo, and even Andy Nyman.
Think I'll keep an eye out for it.

The good horror flick It Follows.

Finally saw Boyhood this week, about a boy growing from six to eighteen. Utterly brilliant. The 2 hours 40 just flew by.

Shameless name-dropping, but who gives a toss...

At a read-through of one of my sitcom scripts last week, I got a chance to chat to Dan Skinner (Angelos Epithemiou) and to spend a couple of hours in the pub chatting to one of my comedy heroes (and the original Ford Prefect in 'Hitchhikers...') Geoff McGivern.

Which was nice.

What is this Doc Tim chapter 7 the return?

Are you still being played by the original Tim or are you now being played by some young and up coming actor like in Star Trek? Or maybe this is a new all CGI Tim?

Will you be battling your traditional enemies? Poorly written sitcoms, fat pizza stealing nurses or CENSORED the infamous producer at CENSORED?

Any way good to see you've returned!

Quote: T.W. @ 17th December 2015, 1:02 AM GMT

Shameless name-dropping, but who gives a toss...

At a read-through of one of my sitcom scripts last week, I got a chance to chat to Dan Skinner (Angelos Epithemiou) and to spend a couple of hours in the pub chatting to one of my comedy heroes (and the original Ford Prefect in 'Hitchhikers...') Geoff McGivern.

Which was nice.

There's no mention of your name on IMdB as yet Dr Walker?

Hackers. It's no War Games, but it's still pretty fun. Plus I love how charmingly dated films about hacking and computers soon become.

Ah, the film with the slightly creepy budget Michael Douglas in.

Spoiler free review of the Force Awakens. This film was a bit of a disapointment, basically there's nothing in it that wasn't in the first couple of films. The new cast seem uneasy and unconfident in their roles. Only to be expected when they're in part 7 of a saga, that seems to have no confidence to say anything new And the oldies seem to be reliving parts they left beind more than 3 decades ago. Where as Empire and a New Hope had a pervasive sense of menace, from an all powerful empire and force of evil. Here I wasn't sure what was going on. Was the Empire defeated? Was there a new republic? What's the big action bit meant to be? Is that a major character? It's a jumble of other people's better ideas filtered through a committee with an eye on sequels, TV shows and merchandise. There's no rebel trenches on Hoth shaking as the might of the Imperium marches on them, no Wretched Hives of Scum and Villainy. No snappy, witty natural character dialogue. Just awful crowbarred in winking punnery. And where as the effects are good they really aren't any better than say the Avengers, it doesn't matter how good an Xwing looks skimming over a lake if it's going nowhere. The film has no real centre nor a central character to fixate on. It certainly doesn't have the cool, menace of Bespen and it's devious caretaker. Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back the only 2 really good starwars films are decades old and are legendary now. So it seems positively necrophiliac to dig them up and bolt on new fx which TFA basically does. This unhappy zombie scifi film tbh feels like so many scifi films these days, a sad dump for profit all over childhood memories. It lacks the vision even of the Phantom Menace etc which at least tried to do something new, with the fx revoloution even if they largely failed. Come on JJ Abrahams do something new, tell a fresh story with new technology. Stop looking over your shoulder or we'll end up with another Lost in Space.

Apt Pupil. A very good little film that's been pretty much forgotten. And Brad Renfro was excellent as the creepy high school kid obsessed with a Nazi. Sad to just read that he died in 2008 at the age of 25.

Quote: sootyj @ 17th December 2015, 6:13 PM GMT

Spoiler free review of the Force Awakens. This film was a bit of a disapointment, basically there's nothing in it that wasn't in the first couple of films.

It was always destined to be the case. JJ Abrams is a renovator, not an innovator. Although I'm still pretty excited about seeing it.