NaNoWriMo Daily Blog

Hi, I thought people might be interested in the daily blog I'm doing, where I publish my NaNoWriMo updates. It's a comedy fantasy type affair, and I've been getting some pretty good feedback. It's obviously all first draft so there are some typos.

You can read it here (the first edition) if you want to:

https://worldwillburnblog.wordpress.com/2015/11/01/say-hi-to-breeze/

The are six blogs so far (just use the menu on the side to skip through them)

Took a quick look, liked the first paragraph - made me want to read more. So will try and find time.

Thanks Playfull!

I've blown out again this year. Just moved and the place is a tip full of crates of CDs books DVDs and art equipment. No broadband either yet.

Just got this as a bit of feedback:

"Bloody love the cat...excellent bit of writing!" pretty damn proud of that

Really liking it (and fair play for posting it out "live" to show the magic unfold)

It's good nice story, witty economic and a knowing weirdness in a Gaimanesque sense.

The only thing I'd suggest from what I've seen is it's got an overly reliable narrator.

e.g. there's a lot of telling us stuff, then showing us stuff. But it's a good story.

I'd just for the future give the narrator an actual identity as a character and make them more flawed and a character.

Thanks Craig and Sootyj! And very good critique Sootyj

Yeah I think I'm going to finish it and give it a good rewrite at the end of Nano; I think there is enough good stuff in it to warrant a rewrite and see what I can actually do with it

Yup it's good not sure where to send it?

Starburst is a scifi mag that still does some fiction, so you could send them a grovelling email about how great they are. (it's what I'd do and they are pretty great).

nb with the Gaimanesque thing I'd read some of his stuff. He is the master story teller. And a trick he does by making the narrator a character and involving them. Then he gets away with a lot of stuff that would otherwise be a bit hack.

A preeminent example of this has to be the Sandman. Where the whole thing is a bunch of stories told by narrators. One of the best areas being his version of "Kane and Abel" if you can find a copy of "A murder of crows" it's for the win.

I aim to send it to some publishers and agents I know. If that fails I'll self-publish as a Kindle book.

In terms of Gaiman, I love Gaiman, one of my favourite writers. However in terms of the narrator, although you're completely valid in the critique of making it one of the characters, however the Godly narrator being detached from the story has been really useful as vessel for comedy, and plus I quite like the story-telling of this so I don't think I'll change it. You have given me an idea though of how I can develop the narrator later in the story. I think I have a big twist on what I can do with it based on your suggestion.

You're absolutely right though, that I tell too much and don't show enough, but that's mostly because it's the easiest way of flushing through the 1,500 words per day and directing where I want the story to go. That is something I'll change in the redraft.

Oh I'm a huge believer in get it down then get it edited.

Having a big mass of words to cut and craft is much better than musing over that first key stroke.

AND I WON NANOWRIMO!!! What's my prize?

You get to do it again next year. :)

(Sorry Ed-well done!)

Well done

Even if I still don't understand what nano nanowiromio is

For the SP on the SEO it would be good to find out.