BBC Store

Made my first purchase from BBC Store and am not best pleased.
Bought Kevin Turvey: The Man Behind the Green Door.
BBC Store says it's 43mins long, yet when I settled down to watch it the actual running time is 29mins.
I know for a fact that there was a cut down 29min version broadcast after the original was aired, but why is this being miss-sold as the full 43min version?

Now that is VERY disappointing to hear. Report it to them. I've heard of a number of people reporting problems so far and getting refunds, although I think that's with the content then removed from their purchased library; you could try for a partial refund (one third back seems apt to ask for!) if you'd like to try to keep the version you do now have.

Quote: Aaron @ 8th November 2015, 9:51 AM GMT

Now that is VERY disappointing to hear. Report it to them. I've heard of a number of people reporting problems so far and getting refunds, although I think that's with the content then removed from their purchased library; you could try for a partial refund (one third back seems apt to ask for!) if you'd like to try to keep the version you do now have.

I've been in contact and they've given me store credit for the full amount, which allows me to keep the truncated version.

That's good. I wonder if it'll be updated with the original at some point. I'll try to make some enquiries.

The thing is it was the truncated version I had unbeknownst owned for years as I'd recorded it off the telly and had transferred it from tape to tape and eventually to digital, it's only fairly recently that I discovered it was a chopped up repeat and that there was another 15 minutes of gold to be had.

Expensive isn't it?

Angry I have been dreaming that one day the BBC would open up its archive for the public to own whatever TV show they wanted. When I noticed that this finally happened I couldn't wait to take a look. I'm after comedy that could never before be located anywhere etc. I found the sitcom The New Statesman no not the one with Rik Mayall in it but another show with the same title from 1985 starring Windsor Davies. I then managed to purchase and download it successfully, expensive but worth it when you can't get it elsewhere. I then encountered problems when I attempted to put the series on to DVD as none of my software programs would accept the files. I couldn't even playback the files from the folder where the website had put them. I changed the format of the files and got them to play but there was nothing there just a jumpy green screen. I then checked that you could playback the files directly on the website and that worked but what is the point of having programs just on your PC? Who wants to watch on a small screen and fill their hard drive up with recordings? Not me, I want a hard copy that you can playback on TV and store away for future reference like any other DVD. I haven't tried to connect my PC to my DVD recorder I don't know if that would work.

Quote: marac @ 15th November 2015, 12:05 PM GMT

Angry I haven't tried to connect my PC to my DVD recorder I don't know if that would work.

I'm sure that there must be a way of doing it, but for years I have recorded off the TV/digi-box/VHS player** to my DVD recorder and done hundreds of DVDs using a rewritable and then editing (to get rid of ads. and crap) with software on my PC to make a perfectly usable DVD with menu to TV via a DVD player.

** I now have about 300 useless VHS tapes. Unimpressed

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th November 2015, 12:13 PM GMT

** I now have about 300 useless VHS tapes. Unimpressed

Could be worse, could be BetaMax.

Quote: marac @ 15th November 2015, 12:05 PM GMT

Angry I have been dreaming that one day the BBC would open up its archive for the public to own whatever TV show they wanted. When I noticed that this finally happened I couldn't wait to take a look. I'm after comedy that could never before be located anywhere etc. I found the sitcom The New Statesman no not the one with Rik Mayall in it but another show with the same title from 1985 starring Windsor Davies. I then managed to purchase and download it successfully, expensive but worth it when you can't get it elsewhere. I then encountered problems when I attempted to put the series on to DVD as none of my software programs would accept the files. I couldn't even playback the files from the folder where the website had put them. I changed the format of the files and got them to play but there was nothing there just a jumpy green screen. I then checked that you could playback the files directly on the website and that worked but what is the point of having programs just on your PC? Who wants to watch on a small screen and fill their hard drive up with recordings? Not me, I want a hard copy that you can playback on TV and store away for future reference like any other DVD. I haven't tried to connect my PC to my DVD recorder I don't know if that would work.

Sadly, that's exactly the BBC's intention. The idea they're pushing that you're "buying" programmes is laughable, because of these ridiculous restrictions.

If you've got a smart TV, DVD, Blu-ray player or set-top box with an iPlayer app, hopefully that'll be updated early next year to include your Store purchases.

Depending on your computer you may also be able to connect it directly to the TV. Perhaps you have an HDMI port? I'm sure there are USB to HDMI cables available to buy if not.

From December there'll be Store apps for both Android and iOS, so if you have a phone or tablet that you can link up to your TV, that'll be another way of doing it.

In the meantime, have you tried Googling for conversion software between the native Store format and, say, mp4?

Quote: Aaron @ 15th November 2015, 2:09 PM GMT

Sadly, that's exactly the BBC's intention. The idea they're pushing that you're "buying" programmes is laughable, because of these ridiculous restrictions.

If you've got a smart TV, DVD, Blu-ray player or set-top box with an iPlayer app, hopefully that'll be updated early next year to include your Store purchases.

Depending on your computer you may also be able to connect it directly to the TV. Perhaps you have an HDMI port? I'm sure there are USB to HDMI cables available to buy if not

From December there'll be Store apps for both Android and iOS, so if you have a phone or tablet that you can link up to your TV, that'll be another way of doing it.

In the meantime, have you tried Googling for conversion software between the native Store format and, say, mp4?

I do have a HDMI port on my computer and 2 HDMI sockets on the back of my TV. May try hooking these up at some point. There is a HDMi socket on the back of my DVD recorder but I think it's an out which would be no good. I don't have a smart TV (Yet) but will be getting one. I did Google for answers on converting from the BBC's format which is ISMV to a more recognised format like MP4 etc for general software and found a programme that would do it. Converted the first episode and when I played it back there was no picture just a green screen that kept jumping. Spent 2 hours Friday night trying everything I could think of.

Disappointing news on the conversion failure. Hopefully they'll realise the error of the system at some point and remove the DRM, leaving us free to actually purchase programmes.

If you are in the market for a smart TV, it might be worth waiting until there's news on the new iPlayer app. Once that's launched it'll make the Store a whole lot more convenient.

Quote: ScotiaNova @ 15th November 2015, 12:28 PM GMT

Could be worse, could be BetaMax.

:D True, true. Have noticed that there are people who buy VHS tapes on eBay, especially if they have been recorded on with early TV like most of mine have, but can I be arsed to list them? Unimpressed