Peep Show - Series 9 Page 2

Quote: Alexei Q @ 13th November 2015, 9:09 AM GMT

Solid start and way better than Series 8 which was a real let down. Good having Superhans and Johnson back. Never a huge fan of Dobby, my least fave of the females. Give me Sophie, Big Suze and Nancy any day.
And best of all Toast of London is back at 10.30 on Wednesdays, so a double whammy of the two best Britcoms of the last 10 years back to back.

For the next six weeks I shall refer to Wednesdays as Peeptoastday.

Seems like others liked it more than me

Still had some very funny lines but (particularly considering the context from the last season) actually seemed to lacking in the awkwardness, recrimination and the gulf between what they were saying and thinking which was always at the core of the show, apart from the first half of the stag do, which had Mitchell doing his very best shiteating grins.
(the second half of the stag do had Jez positively phoning in his ineptitude at small talk and "life coach" schtick to a girl the script didn't see the need to give characteristics to...)

I feel that in earlier series Mark would have spent far more time muttering doubts over his participation in Jerry's lame high-fives, questioning whether awkwardness over that and William Morris was just being small-minded and petty, musing over whether he was making a big mistake even considering letting Jeremy back and then agonising over whether he should be helping Jerry or Jeremy over the attempted eviction (and probably choosing to help Jerry and winding up doing such a bad job of it he ends up confirming the eviction just to save face.).
In this one we had a final scene with Mark saying something pretty directly to the effect of "can you make it look like I'm not helping" so the rest became standard subtext-free farce. Even if it also included great only-on-Peep-Show lines like "party Guantanamo" and "Croydon Bullingdon", it didn't really seem in character with a guy who agonised about whether he should ditch his outspokenly racist friend.

We've seen the Mark-falls-out-with-Jez-but-inevitably-makes-up plot a few times but it seemed like they were going through the motions more than usual; hopefullythat's just a means to the end of setting things up to go out with a bang in the rest of the series. On that note, good to see that Johnson is still around to catalyse things.

Just because it's still better than 99% of stuff on TV doesn't mean it can't aim higher.

I enjoyed it, it's better than practically any other comedy. Had a couple of genuine laugh out loud moments and it flew by.

The main gripe though is the lack of subtlety nowadays. Hans having one beer and then going completely mental isn't the sort of joke that used to be on the show, likewise when Jerry laughed directly in Jeremy's face, which was as subtle as a housebrick. Also, why is Mark bored with reading now?

Still, great to see it back. It'll never be as good as it was (Series 4 is my favourite series of any show) but it'll provide more laughs in one episode than most shows will in years.

I loved it.

I was surprised that David Mitchell still looked like Mark, I expected him to be bearded and slimmer.

Quote: Nogget @ 14th November 2015, 7:33 PM GMT

I was surprised that David Mitchell still looked like Mark, I expected him to be bearded and slimmer.

Me too!
That was most odd.

First half a bit throwaway, but I guess they either had to make the whole series about Mark & Jez dealing with Series 8, which would have been a different show, or just find a quick way to get to a sitcom reset situation. I think they made the right decision, a rushed resolution is better than a drawn out one, but it was always going to feel odd. I agree that Hans-goes-mental-after-one-sip was sloppy, I was actually really intrigued by the new self-righteous twist on his character.

Oh, and Mark had done that "don't repeat the joke, develop it" line to himself before, felt second-hand that part.

Second half very funny, thoroughly enjoyable. I'm expecting a corker next week, now all the pieces are pack on the board.

Now that was more like it!

That was kind of amazing.

Second ep had its moments but was a bit of an anti-climax towards the end. Started well but tailed off second half.
The gay webcam scene was absolute gold.

Quote: Matmerismo @ 19th November 2015, 12:08 AM GMT

Second ep had its moments but was a bit of an anti-climax towards the end.

It's odd that having engineered the show to lead up to an iconic best man speech, and having all the parts in place to allow for some truly hilarious action, the writers then chose not to cash in spectacularly with the laughs.

Super Hans' threats to anyone that spoiled his wedding will have to be carried out next week surely. As will the repercussions for Mark being beaten up by Dobby's other half

But yeah, the speech and especially the lack of interruption was a bit anticlimactic after the webcam scene and the "are you sure it was your bed Jeremy?" scene

I thought it was a bit of an Empire Strikes Back.

By which I mean a skilful and innovative use of tension and moving the supposed conclusion around.

So Jez's sexual adventure was definitely the climax (scuse the pun). But they stuck it in the middle and the final speech was I thought rather clever.

Some of the comments on here keep bringing up the unrealistic tag of Hans getting sloshed on one sip - use your imagination, people! It was clearly a case that from one sip of lager, followed copious amounts of booze and drugs.

Can't understand the poor reviews for Series 8 - the great thing with Peep Show is its sheer consistency.

However, this series feels a bit weird. Feels like there's still that divide between Mark and Jez. Why was Mark more upset about Jez announcing his 'love' for Dobby, when Jez did far worse with Sophie?

With the webcam scene, I did not expect to see/hear what happened with Jez! We know he's had his previous moments with Hans, but a sober Jez having gay relations??? I seriously thought we were gonna see that Jez and this guy were not having sex and simply using Mark's room to have life coaching and maybe see Jez simply using Mark's room as it's warmer?

Pretty random and out the blue to make Jez gay.

Well they haven't really. He might be bi. Or experimenting. Or whatever. As we heard from his narration on the bus.
I like the casual way they did it.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 19th November 2015, 8:30 PM GMT

Why was Mark more upset about Jez announcing his 'love' for Dobby, when Jez did far worse with Sophie?

Because Mark was never really happy with Sophie - in fact, he saw what Jez did as a 'way out' for him, I'd say.