Dark Humour on Mainstream TV

Hello all.

So, I have a question about the inclusion of dark humour in sitcoms on any mainstream channel. I'm currently planning to write a sitcom (who isn't?) and I have a general idea of the setting and some of the characters.

Here's my question. What's the limit for politically incorrect jokes in sitcoms? I know that some people on here have experience writing sitcoms; what's the general attitude towards dark humour?

Thank you in advance.

There's no connection between dark humour and political incorrectness. If by the latter you mean racist, sexist or homophobic humour, forget it.

Quote: beaky @ 14th November 2015, 11:32 AM GMT

There's no connection between dark humour and political incorrectness. If by the latter you mean racist, sexist or homophobic humour, forget it.

Thank you for your response, and apologies for my error.

I ask because I want to push one of the characters to the acceptable limit of what's allowed, largely as a way to annoy the other characters. I was curious as to whether there was room for something that pushed the boundaries a bit more than what's out there.

Oh well. Thanks again. Genuinely appreciate the quick reply :).

A pleasure. Regarding what a character can do, I'd say try it and see, make him or her as bad as possible.

Surely you should try for BBC2 or 4. What does mainstream matter?

BBC 2 isn't considered mainstream any more?

The main stream. The clue's in the name?

Alright then.