Going Straight Page 4

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 29th October 2015, 9:51 AM GMT

I assume you've all seen this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzEYceCpX6Q

No, this was new to me. But I didn't like it. Clips or episodes like this that try to tie up loose ends tend to destroy the "myth" of the original. But thanks for posting this anyway.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 29th October 2015, 12:25 AM GMT

I think the only reason it didn't continue was due to Richard Beckinsale's death. It may not have been quite as good as Porridge but it was popular and won awards.

I guess so, but it seemed to be lacking much of the charm and mirth of the original. I recall there being a thread about spinoffs and sequels on the BCG that I must re-visit at some point.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 29th October 2015, 9:51 AM GMT

I assume you've all seen this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzEYceCpX6Q

I hadn't seen that clip either Tommy - thank you for sharing. I'm guessing that it was specially commissioned for a BBC 'Porridge Evening'?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 29th October 2015, 1:33 PM GMT

No, this was new to me. But I didn't like it. Clips or episodes like this that try to tie up loose ends tend to destroy the "myth" of the original. But thanks for posting this anyway.

I guess it depends really. Clips such as this are short and sweet and not as detailed as say, the 'To The Manor Born' special which was broadcast a few years back?

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 29th October 2015, 2:47 PM GMT

I guess it depends really. Clips such as this are short and sweet and not as detailed as say, the 'To The Manor Born' special which was broadcast a few years back?

Naff off! :P

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 29th October 2015, 2:47 PM GMT

I hadn't seen that clip either Tommy - thank you for sharing. I'm guessing that it was specially commissioned for a BBC 'Porridge Evening'?

No, it was one of two 50-minute specials shown at Christmas 2003. This on Boxing Day, and one covering Margo Leadbetter on New Year's Eve.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 29th October 2015, 3:05 PM GMT

Naff off! :P

You nerk! Laughing out loud

Quote: Aaron @ 29th October 2015, 3:55 PM GMT

No, it was one of two 50-minute specials shown at Christmas 2003. This on Boxing Day, and one covering Margo Leadbetter on New Year's Eve.

Oh thank you, I don't recall it though. I think 2003 was the first Christmas that we had my in-laws to stay, so I was probably completely ratted throughout. I thought that it must have been recorded prior to 2005 though, lest Mr Barker be beamed to us via archive footage?

Ha ha. Well, quite.

I must admit that the theme tune is quite catchy and here's the single version which was released as a single by BBC Enterprises back in 1978: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahU7hRBVOEE

I reckon that it's Lazzard's ring tone.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 29th October 2015, 6:04 PM GMT

I must admit that the theme tune is quite catchy and here's the single version which was released as a single by BBC Enterprises back in 1978: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahU7hRBVOEE

I reckon that it's Lazzard's ring tone.

Thanks for posting this, I didn't know there's a long (=full) version of the song. I always liked the tune and Barker's singing...although I prefer the theme tune of You Rang, M'Lord, but only just.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 29th October 2015, 9:09 PM GMT

Thanks for posting this, I didn't know there's a long (=full) version of the song. I always liked the tune and Barker's singing...although I prefer the theme tune of You Rang, M'Lord, but only just.

Oh, I do like an extended version. The three minute plus version of 'I Could Be So Good For You' by the peerless Dennis Waterman is a shining example.

Going Straight was very well written, very funny and did very well considering the new setting of the show.

Fletch was still as funny as he was when inside. It was nice how Godber was included in a significant way and clever how Mr. Mackay and Fletch shared the train ride home.

Only element I didn't like was how Fletcher was this lonely, undignified individual for the most part and begrunginly relies on handouts by daughter, Ingrid.

A very good effort and enjoyed the 'will he, won't he' towards the end where he was practically being blackmailed to undertake a dodgy deal on the same day Ingrid and Lenny were getting married.

I'd like to have seen more of Going Straight. For a spin-off, it worked very well for me.

Late follow up but I didn't want to start a new thread. I've just seen this series on YouTube and didn't laugh once. I know it was a tall order and it's a slick and professional piece of work etc, but I really didn't find any of it amusing. In the least.

The first episode is the best and it's no coincidence that it's the one that is closest in style and tone to Porridge.

I know it's well acted etc but there simply aren't enough laugh lines for me. Fletcher and The Nasty One get pissed together and realise they have more in common than they thought? Thank f**k they didn't go down that route. Next Rik and Ade will become bosom pals.

I think the fundamental problem with Going Straight is about class, or hierarchy. In prison, Fletcher had status. He could look after Godber while simultaneously fearing Grouty and battling Mackay. Outside prison Fletcher is quite a pathetic character. He loses his purpose. Little victories were the lifeblood of Porridge, but outside that doesn't work.

... And taking the piss out of the Nice One.
Yeah, the situation isn't quite right for him. I kinda knew it wasn't gonna work for me but I have some free time. Apparently there's some kind of virus going round.