Going Straight Page 3

Damn straight. Betty did it for me as a teenager when watching the repeats in the 1990s.........and now when I watch the repeats on GOLD.

Fit as a butcher's dog.

I'm scared to look up a picture of how she looks now.......I did it once for Thelma from '....Likely Lads'. *Knobwilter*.

Thelma? Really? Even in the 70s...?

Oh yes......

Thelma was quite cute! Nice smile!

If we're talking Likely Lads though, it has to be Terry's sister Audrey.

She was in George & Mildred too.

Ha ha ha. Well, each to their own! ;)

The queen of the 70s sexpots was Nerys Hughes, though!

I need to get out more....

Oh, you're on your own now I think!

I liked the blonde in Man About The House - Sally Thomsett, was it?

Indeed it was. I think this should be taken to a separate thread now though please, and back to Going Straight in here!

Going Straight could have been more memorable if they'd incorporated a few more of the 'inmates' on the outside. But, the biggest trick they missed was not having Fulton MacKay appear as a regular character. He could have built up a good relationship with Fletch- openly being suspicious of each other, but genuinely respecting each other.

Quote: The Rook @ 13th September 2008, 2:39 AM BST

Yes that was a good episode but I don't think it matches the first 'Going Home'. How perfect was it when Mackay walked into the same train carriage as Fletch? The difficulty I expect they had when writing the show was how do you replace Mackay's authoratative role. I think that's what partly made Porridge so successful; the battle of wits between one man against the 'system'. In 'Going Straight' it was Ingrid that was taking over that role giving Fletch pressure to go straight and not back to skullduggery.

I've watched Episodes 1-3 and yes, it's an interesting conclusion to Porridge, but it's not in the same league.

Quote: TopBanana @ 12th April 2011, 12:06 PM BST

Going Straight could have been more memorable if they'd incorporated a few more of the 'inmates' on the outside. But, the biggest trick they missed was not having Fulton MacKay appear as a regular character. He could have built up a good relationship with Fletch- openly being suspicious of each other, but genuinely respecting each other.

Absolutely. It's a shame that Mr McKay didn't gain employment in the Probation Service?

Quote: Badge @ 11th April 2011, 12:33 AM BST

I can't remember it all that well but maybe - unlike Porridge - it appears a bit dated? Porridge had the advantage of being set in its own little timeless world, but Going Straight is set in the real world of the 70s.

That's spot on.

Quote: lofthouse @ 11th April 2011, 9:21 PM BST

Thelma was quite cute! Nice smile!

If we're talking Likely Lads though, it has to be Terry's sister Audrey.

Or Thelma's workmate, Anthea, ay caramba!

Quote: TopBanana @ 12th April 2011, 12:06 PM BST

But, the biggest trick they missed was not having Fulton MacKay appear as a regular character. He could have built up a good relationship with Fletch- openly being suspicious of each other, but genuinely respecting each other.

I agree.

I wonder if the "Italian" Café owner (player by Freddie Earlle) would have been a good regular secondary character. I liked him in the episode he appeared in.

"One-a cuppa tea!"

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 27th October 2015, 8:47 PM GMT

Or Thelma's workmate, Anthea, ay caramba!

I agree.

I wonder if the "Italian" Café owner (player by Freddie Earlle) would have been a good regular secondary character. I liked him in the episode he appeared in.

"One-a cuppa tea!"

I thought that he was good too, a bit like a slightly less seedy version of Sid from OFAH.

I have now watched all of the series, it was interesting to see the sequel to Porridge in its entirety. I did chuckle a bit and the plotting was good. That said, I can see why it didn't continue to another series as there didn't seem to be a way of moving the story arcs any further.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 28th October 2015, 4:01 PM GMT

I have now watched all of the series, it was interesting to see the sequel to Porridge in its entirety. I did chuckle a bit and the plotting was good. That said, I can see why it didn't continue to another series as there didn't seem to be a way of moving the story arcs any further.

I think the only reason it didn't continue was due to Richard Beckinsale's death. It may not have been quite as good as Porridge but it was popular and won awards.

I assume you've all seen this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzEYceCpX6Q