Plot / Sub Plot Question Page 4

Quote: Marc P @ 7th January 2009, 3:32 PM GMT

I had a script editor complain to me once that a script was too hard to edit as everything was connected to each other.

That is interesting, I'd always wondered why B plots usually don't relate to the A plots, when it would seem like the best way of doing things.

In my opinion if anyone tries to narrow down the number of plots in your drama they are trying to soft soap you.

Quote: Nogget @ 22nd October 2015, 1:21 PM BST

That is interesting, I'd always wondered why B plots usually don't relate to the A plots, when it would seem like the best way of doing things.

A simple and likely the most common answer would be sometimes people have decent ideas which don't really connect to anything and aren't really big enough to build a whole episode with

Unconnected B plots are also useful for changing the tone of something that might be too dark/tense otherwise, and revealing/reminding things about the characters' personalities that the A plot can't

Yep

I've been spending time with a couple of musicians recently and they've been teaching me about the 'story' of a song. And likewise, the melody of a story. You have to give the reader ups and downs in what's happening and how they feel when they read it.

So are there any examples of subplots that people here admire?

Subplots are just plots which don't sustain a full episode, Nog.