Together

Has anyone been watching this on BBC3?

I've found it watchable with some good moments but then some that missed the mark.

Episode 1 had a nice moment during the art class scene as I thought it was going to be a bit cliched but they turned it around nicely.

Certain things seem to be telegraphed a bit though, but there's enough original and funny bits to keep me watching so far.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ 15th October 2015, 3:07 PM BST

I've watched it. Romantic comedy is not my 'thing', but this was OK; Jonny Sweet is clearly a very talented chap, and has an original comic 'voice'.

Please lose the whistling soundtrack though, it makes the whole thing sound like a B&Q advert.

Quote: Nogget @ 16th October 2015, 11:18 AM BST

Please lose the whistling soundtrack though, it makes the whole thing sound like a B&Q advert.

Ha!

Loving this, even the few overly telegraphed moments are making me laugh out loud, so its laugh quota is very high. Lots of great characters (the girl's best friend is annoying me, but not as much as that kind of character usually does) from the parents to Tim Key's copper. After the disaster that was Fried it's nice to see Katy Wix in something good too, even if I didn't understand who her character was in the first episode!

I have never been a big fan of Jonny Sweetie man. The night this started was the same night as Glitchy, The Job Lot and Chewing Gum and out of all 4 things I thought I would hate Together the most. With humble pie I now eat my own words for once. Together is the best thing on right now. Drifters is starting this Thursday, I very much doubt it will be better judging by the last cliché-ridden series. Bar that, Together has some really funny bits in it.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ 15th October 2015, 3:07 PM BST

I've found it watchable with some good moments but then some that missed the mark.

Episode 1 had a nice moment during the art class scene as I thought it was going to be a bit cliched but they turned it around nicely.

Certain things seem to be telegraphed a bit though, but there's enough original and funny bits to keep me watching so far.

It was certainly quirky and there were some nice surreal scenes. Many of the actors seem to be recycled from various other comedies.

Quote: Nogget @ 16th October 2015, 11:18 AM BST

I've watched it. Romantic comedy is not my 'thing', but this was OK; Jonny Sweet is clearly a very talented chap, and has an original comic 'voice'.

Yeah, the whistling is annoying. Mind you, I used to like the Shelley theme tune.

Quote: radiat10n @ 17th October 2015, 10:36 AM BST

Loving this, even the few overly telegraphed moments are making me laugh out loud, so its laugh quota is very high. Lots of great characters (the girl's best friend is annoying me, but not as much as that kind of character usually does) from the parents to Tim Key's copper. After the disaster that was Fried it's nice to see Katy Wix in something good too, even if I didn't understand who her character was in the first episode!

Isn't she his more successful Barrister sister?

Just watched it tonight. I couldn't work out how Katy Wix is related.

Recently it feels like romantic comedies have become so stale (with the exception of brilliant Scrotal Recall) that producers are required to cast a number of great comedy actors in supporting roles just to get the viewer through the predictable and formulaic relationship between the main cast.

Well, it works. Vicki Pepperdine and Alex Macqueen are brilliant as usual. Main cast? What main cast?

Adapted from his Radio 4 sitcom Hard To Tell which worked a treat. I've only caught up with the first ep for which he'd cannibalised bits and pieces from eps of the R4 original, which is understandable.

His real gift is lovely dialogue, rapid interplay, non-sequiters. It worked beautifully on radio. I thought it too often less successful on the screen with such conventional TV direction, cutting between single shots. The rhythms are lost. Needs a simpler, one-shot style, letting the dialogue sing. That said, Sweet's very talented in the Tom Basden-style, and good on him.

Didn't think episode 3 worked that well. Is every episode going to have her failing to make a date because of the police thing as it is already wearing thin? There were some nice moments but I couldn't help thinking the whole darts thing was a bit telegraphed and also too unlikely. She's turned up early to a house she's never been in and doesn't even knock. I just thought it could've been handled better.

Also, there have been many dart injuries and I've never know someone leave a dart in for so long, especially as they come out so easily. Just little things that take you out of the show.

I did write a routine about treading on snails in the rain for a friend's stand-up routine. Whether he used it or not I've no idea.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ 21st October 2015, 3:44 PM BST

She's turned up early to a house she's never been in and doesn't even knock.

Didn't the dad come out to her, before she reached the door?

The darts stuff was certainly clumsy.

Quote: Nogget @ 21st October 2015, 7:11 PM BST

Didn't the dad come out to her, before she reached the door?

The darts stuff was certainly clumsy.

I meant she didn't knock on the bedroom door. ;)

Caught up with ep 2. Lovely stuff, Tim Key giving the performance of his life. Some of Jonny Sweet's dialogue is still being murdered by unsympathetic direction, and it's a pity Alex Macqueen (and, to a lesser extent, Vicki Pepperdine) are being allowed to chew the scenery. The dialogue deserves better.

Saw it, love it ... Cute simple n mental. Can someone tell me where the caves are located ...it says Fassett Estate but I Googled n couldn't find them ...please please please tell me where it was shot...this is episode 4 I'm talking about ... Angelic