Doc Martin Page 7

I hear he's not even a doctor! :O

And he really loves dogs!

Quote: Davey Jay @ 6th October 2015, 3:48 PM BST

I thought the bit where Doc Martin attempts to kill the dog wasn't in keeping with his character.

What is going on? Is there a new writer who doesn't know the characters?

My thoughts exactly.

That miles-out-of-character behaviour was the brainchild of writer Julian Unthank who also gave us the ridiculous incidents concerning the absurd and farcical lobster dinners at Bert's restaurant, the woefully unfunny and dramatically pointless errant mouse, and the ludicrously inappropriate tasering by PC Penhale.

I wonder how many viewers spotted the 'hidden' joke in the most recent episode?

From his surgery, DM calls out into the waiting room for the next patient: "Mr Peacock!"

The receptionist too tells the patient it's his turn: "In you go, Drew."

Do you get it? Drew Peacock?

It sounds just like 'Droopy Cock' (snigger, snigger).

It seems the above-mentioned writer, Julian Unthank, is still determined to turn our beloved gentle comedy-drama series into something completely different.

Perhaps Keith Lemon will be taking over as DM in the next series?

I heard the Mr Peacock call but stupidly looked to see if Trevor or his Dad were there.

Quote: Chappers @ 9th October 2007, 3:20 AM BST

OK - it's not strictly a comedy but there are some great performances from some great actors with comedy pedigree - Martin Clunes, Sarah Parkinson, whatsername from Waiting for God and tonight that bloke from Green Wing. (I'm terrible at names)

Plus you've got a Doctor who can't stand the sight of blood and a Policeman who's agorophobic.

Then of course you've got the gorgeous Caroline Catz.

Tonight's episode was about a "Modern Parents" type psychologist played by "that bloke from Green Wing".

Brilliant TV.

I watched one episode and thought not for me. I do like Martin Clunes though but this is the sort of programme by Nanna would have watched.

I was a big fan but the concluding episode was the biggest load of cobblers I have ever seen..

Quote: Rood Eye @ 20th October 2015, 6:49 PM BST

I wonder how many viewers spotted the 'hidden' joke in the most recent episode?

Hello from Los Angeles...

Yes, I caught that. LOL. Also "Leann Perrins", "Germaine Mann" and "Alice Cooper". My wife refused to believe they were planted that way until hearing "Alice Cooper". She was forced to relent.

I had a question. Well, I have many but they go back many series.

How did Clive Tishell regain his hearing?

Cheers!

"...this is the sort of programme [m]y Nanna would have watched."

Yes, its subtle humour doesn't seem to appeal to those with limited life experience.

Is anyone reading this thread anymore? Hello? There's an active discussion on Digital Spy, but the site doesn't seem to want to authorize me. So here I am...

One of the consistently bes programmes on Tv at the moment. Have I contradicted myself? But generally good acting, characters and scripts - apart from the dopey policeman.

Yes, many people have drawn a line at PC Penhale's over-the-top character. They find it difficult to suspend disbelief quite that far.

I agree, one of the best programs on the air today. However, I'm a little disappointed with the direction the Doc's character has gone in later seasons. Not sure if it's a result of a change of writers, or Clunes' decision, or both, but the Doc Martin character hasn't been consistent over the years. I can see creating some personality growth, but the basic traits of the character haven't developed in a realistic fashion.

The Dr. started out quite conversational and less confrontational but has devolved into a terribly contrary introvert and a much less sympathetic character. I know people who have tuned-out because they began to simply dislike the Doctor too much.

Having said that though, still my favourite program/programme!

Never really watched Doc Martin until a few months ago, I caught a rerun on ITV3. I was that hooked, I ended up buying all of Series 1-7 and managed to watch all of them in less than a month. Brilliant acting and writing throughout.

Can't wait for Series 8 on the 20th!

Can't wait to see the lovely Caroline Catz again. (Even though I've been watching the repeats!)

The new series seems to have a freshness about it.

The wonderfully troubled new vicar has added to this freshness, however it's a shame the scriptwriters didn't include her character in more episodes other than just the first.

Sad to think that only one more series is to be made after the current one finishes.

They have got the Doc back to his normal old self.
Louise now accepts his foibles and strange ways and tries to steer him out of conflict and trouble.
Loving his innocent rudeness