Doctor Who... Page 1,105

Quote: sootyj @ 10th October 2015, 10:24 PM BST

Still unsure about both guitar and sunglasses.

I'm absolutely sure.

The whole breaking the fourth wall and playing the guitar bit made my skin crawl.
Once they'd got that out of their system it was pretty good.

It was interesting that the big bad was an old fashioned guy in a suit.

Although it worked well and there seemed something refreshin about the alien races being.

1 Someone that NuWho had already created (Paul was awesome as a Tivoli)

2 Something completely new, now that was fun.

I thought it was another good episode, so that's four in a row I've enjoyed now. My only concern is that next week's episode looks rubbish! :S

Actually rather enjoying the new season, seems more confident. Always funny, but a tad self indulgent in the first two episodes with Missy chewing so much scenery it's virtually Dogme. Wrote and performed a skit
pre-august re-spoilers and got one right ish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz0f-vpeEpw&list=PLLLGtavbtiFgqKtJ9EKzExrRZ4NXvC5hc&index=7

Same here
It's much better than the last one so far.

And if they can avoid Moons being Eggs & Zombie Cyber Brigadeers then it could turn out surprisingly satisfying this time round

I'd say last year except for that one with the killer Graffiti (which was really, rather good) was abyssmal.

I think the problem is Capaldi is one of the weakest doctors and Clara one of the weakest assistants. This one has picked up....a bit. Oddly whilst Kill Moon was pretty bad. It had a pretty good starting premise and was about the only one where Capaldi got his teeth into the role. And was kind of weird, sinister and alien like the Doctor should be.

It's gone from bad to poor. A lot of it is down to a weird style of self referrential style of writing.

So previously Jo Grant was a journalist having an adventure in space and time, with a guy who she mostly was exasperated with. The Master was going to take over the universe with Auton, intelligent plastic dildos, or psychic brocolli and an army of Venusian Vegans. Where as now he's a bird who's obsessed with being the Doctor's only friend. Which is just weird.

The current season is ok, but it's just not good. Last week was the first one in ages where it felt like there was a genuine threat, that the solution might be difficult and the conclusion a surprise.

Moffat seems to be phoning in this series. Almost like he's completely lost interest in it. A shame as Capaldi is a great actor, but the save for a few moments the stories are pretty forgettable. I wouldn't mind Charlie Higson taking over as showrunner.

Is there some reason for a worker in space in the year 3800 to have a Geordie accent? Why have they made her put on a really shit one?

Presumably it must be her real voice, but I wish she'd stop saying pet every five minutes.

I really liked the end. I knew it'd have a good Gatissy ending.

I didn't have a clue what was going on in that one. And then it just sort of ended and there was no second part to it. Disappointing. :(

I really like Mark Gatissesses other work, but his Doctor Who episodes are always a bit ho hum. Never terrible, but never great either.

So is that it for Clara? She's definitely gone? She better be. You can't milk it like that and then have her back.

Hopefully.
Not because I hate her or anything, but because they've been dragging it out so long.
Next week is all just the doctor apparently. So I don't know when we find out who his new companion definitely is.

I'd like someone really old for a change. Older than Capaldi.

:O

Ninety?

Maybe Catherine Tate could come back and play Nan.

Spoilers ahoy, finally after what is it now 2 seasons Moffatt seems to have found his mojo. This seems to have been the first episode he really found his mojo (yes I know he didn't write it Sara does an awesome job but well he's the Oz in all this). Taking the bold move of for the first time actually killing a companion off for the first time in 3 decades (and that was Adric who everyone hated). It allowed it's self to do all the things Dr Who does well, good dialogue, speechifying, decent jokes most sitcoms would be proud of. And some decent minimalist special fx, the over flight of London all those aliens undercover (by flashing them only briefly it got to show lots of 'em). And some serious ideas not shouted about or over emphasised. The Dr's absurdly wrong generoisty to Ashilder leads directly to the death of the person he cares most about. The realisation that Clara never was being a sort of protoDoctor, but rather his humanity. Making the scene with the cards all the more affecting. Especially when in a round about way her death is his fault and his vengeful ranging ultimately turned inwards. All this within a clockwork script, with someone genuine surprised mysteries and nastiness. This feels like what Dr Who is about when it gets things right.

That said they've brought so many characters back from the dead or not really killed them off. It was darkly amusing how much they had to emphasise "she's dead we really mean it!"

Face the Raven? I'm surprised they didn't give it a little cloak and scythe, then drop a piano on Clara.