What is your favourite song and why?

I'm doing another radio show on Saturday. I'll be broadcasting from 10am on the 10th day of the 10th month so I thought I'd ask for listener's perfect 10s i.e. their favourite songs and why.

Post your choices and the reasons why you love them and I'll give you a shout out on air.

The event page is here: https://www.facebook.com/events/530105933805728/

Search for Peterborough FM on the Tune In app or go to www.peterborough.fm to listen in.

Handy Man - Jimmy Jones, the first 45 I bought in 1960 and Only the Lonely - Roy Orbison (second one) that I bought the same year, and still have both of them in my vinyl collection which I play on my 1960s record player whereby I can listen to them as they would have sounded to me 55 years ago. Cool

God, I am old. :(

God! 'Only the Lonely' brings back memories. A boy in my class was obsessed by it and I remember him serenading us all outside classrooms when we were waiting to go in.

Left To My Own Devices: The Pet Shop Boys - 1987/1988. Here's a link to the album's 12in single: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcQFidfA9rU

Why? Well, I think that it sums me up very well. Tennants' lyrics are like poetry to anyone who's ever felt left out, alone or a misfit. The album it featured on, Introspective, was released when I was in my teens, so it just 'gelled' with me, especially these particular lines:

"I was a lonely boy*, no strength, no joy
in a world of my own at the back of the garden
I didn't want to compete or play out on the street
for in a secret life I was a Roundhead general."

*I'm female, but the sentiment still counts.

Journey Of The Sorcerer by The Eagles.

It incites a sense of nostalgia and wonder. It calms me down, makes me happy and it always reminds me to keep a towel within arm's reach.

Black Water by the Doobie Brothers and/or Norwegian Wood by...you know who.

Why? Because these two songs regularly appear in my head in moments of stress, extreme concentration or relaxation. I don't know why. They seem to haunt me, but in a good way...not like a Crazy Frog song.

Other songs that appear in my head on a regular basis are:

You Wear It Well by Rod Stewart and Sunshine Superman by Donovan. But the two I've mentioned first have a special place in my heart.

My favourite 3 songs are:

Father Ted's Lovely Horse
There is a rapist in Lincoln Park
Because I got high - Afroman

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 7th October 2015, 7:05 PM BST

Norwegian Wood

Love this as well

Donovan.

Going to see this guy end October.

tuumble, this is a nigh on impossible one to pin down...but -

Spirits Having Flown by The Bee Gees, I just love the melody and lyrics and it's just one of those recurring songs that if I hear it on the radio I get a little butterfly, don't know why.

Also Last train To London by the ELO - one of my favourite bands and this one has got a great intro and again the lyrics and melody are fab.

Quote: Davey Jay @ 7th October 2015, 7:36 PM BST

My favourite 3 songs are:

Father Ted's Lovely Horse
There is a rapist in Lincoln Park
Because I got high - Afroman

It's 'My' Lovely Horse.

Song: Motorcycle Emptiness by Manic Street Preachers
Reason: it's f**kin brilliant

By a strange coincidence, as I started to read this thread, Only the Lonely started to play on the radio...

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

"A day in my life" by the Beatles as it's so floaty light and relaxing. Or "Norwegian Wood" if you must.

Or I'll second the Blue Nun's "Left To My Own Devices" and up the bidding to "Go West" in that it's uplifting. I first heard this when working in an Eastern country that blocked most western music. But this was such a massive hit in the region, it seeped through. Which played to the irony of some of the Pet Shop Boy's lyrics.

A Change Is Gonna Come by Sam Cooke, a song that oozes soul and frustration whilst being beautiful and timeless.

Quote: beaky @ 7th October 2015, 8:30 PM BST

By a strange coincidence, as I started to read this thread, Only the Lonely started to play on the radio...

My psychic powers are working! :D Now to try it on Tuumble......... Cool