Newsjack Series 13 Page 16

Well done to all those who got something on.

Now that the pleasantries are out of the way I wasn't sure about last nights episode. They had 3 separate cereal cafe gags, two of which were just obvious weak puns that have been knocking about on twitter for the last week. The sketches and breaking news seemed a bit off too.

I'm not just saying this because I was denied and I'm bitter and resentful. Definitely not so stop saying that.

Quote: martinw @ 2nd October 2015, 9:01 AM BST

Does anyone know if the Google Drive sketch template I saw kicking around is valid to send in for Newsjack sketches? The only difference I see is that there are no line numbers.

Link from forum: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/post/1132556/

Link to template: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zYOxGr9-hwKPfkmci9wXOXIohGC2NgKapIsZQfwBQL0/edit

Nah, use the .rtf that's on the website rather than this one. Apparently it's easier for them to use (despite the fact it's a massive pain in the arse when you try and copy stuff to it!)

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ 2nd October 2015, 5:11 PM BST

Nah, use the .rtf that's on the website rather than this one. Apparently it's easier for them to use (despite the fact it's a massive pain in the arse when you try and copy stuff to it!)

Dan

Even if you save it back to an rtf file?

Quote: Nogget @ 2nd October 2015, 10:40 AM BST

I've just had the invitation to the Writer's Room, which sounds like fun.

Well done! Bring cake.

And a great sketch. Well done to everyone else who got on/recorded this week, too.

Quote: martinw @ 2nd October 2015, 5:50 PM BST

Even if you save it back to an rtf file?

Well if you can get it to do the same formatting I guess it's alright but I'd try and do what they suggest: they don't need MORE reasons to reject stuff, do they?

Dan

Quote: LippyAlison @ 2nd October 2015, 1:21 PM BST

That doesn't quite address your question Nogget but my point is it was too strong then but might not be next time!

A very interesting point Alison, thanks. I don't get to go to the shows, so it's always fascinating to hear from those who do.
I'm constantly considering what sort of language is acceptable, and I disagree with the "it's not big and it's not clever" school of thought regarding swearing. Strong language is, erm, very strong, and highly effective when used carefully, so it's often a sad compromise to tone things down.

Ours are in! Good luck everyone!
:)

Had to have a hiatus this series because of work but I've managed to get a sketch off today & will definitely get all the one-liners in. And then full steam ahead for the final episode.

So, you know. The competition just got *serious*.

Well done to all that have had success so far, it's been a really strong series.

Each week I seem to fall slightly further behind with this forum so before Ep5 comes out let me congratulate those who got stuff in Ep4. I haven't had a chance to listen to Ep4 (it's been that kind of week) so can't comment on an earlier post about quality but if 2 people on here are getting sketches on then it's alright by me!

And well done nogget for getting the call - enjoy!

Thanks, Stephen; have you been?

I'm a bit surprised at being offered the same as a non-commissioned rate for what they themselves call a commission. Can I ask anyone who's already attended, is that normal?

Quote: Nogget @ 6th October 2015, 9:40 PM BST

I'm a bit surprised at being offered the same as a non-commissioned rate for what they themselves call a commission. Can I ask anyone who's already attended, is that normal?

Isn't it the case you get that whatever though? So even if you get nothing on you're guaranteed that amount. Then I think you get an extra amount for what you do get on.

(I have been in, but that was 2 hosts and several producers ago!)

I was invited in for four series and never once got 'commissioned' (only got paid for whatever was broadcast) so think yourself lucky!

Dan

Neither time that Bonzo and I were in did we actually make it into the show: the first time, one sketch was recorded and cut; the second, we didn't even make the recording!

Really, it's as much about the experience of actually being there, being part of the writers' room, and playing Spot the BBC Comedy Producer (admittedly, a very niche game). We also saw a mouse in the kitchen. And Ben Elton.

Quote: V Riddoch @ 7th October 2015, 11:07 AM BST

Neither time that Bonzo and I were in did we actually make it into the show: the first time, one sketch was recorded and cut; the second, we didn't even make the recording!

Really, it's as much about the experience of actually being there, being part of the writers' room, and playing Spot the BBC Comedy Producer (admittedly, a very niche game). We also saw a mouse in the kitchen. And Ben Elton.

Echo what Viv says - it's a brilliant day and I feel very lucky indeed to have been asked.

Steve - yes, you get paid for 2 mins (£82), but like Viv says, that's for the work, whether it makes it on or not.

We also saw Catherine Tate outside!! :D

Quote: Bonzo @ 7th October 2015, 11:27 AM BST

We also saw Catherine Tate outside!! :D

And Richard Osman was walking down the street, but I think that was just a coincidence.