Come-back sitcoms - which ones would work?

In the last 10-15 years, we've had many sitcoms returning to our screens. Most of the time, they seldom go down well as the original spark did not appear to be there.

Which sitcoms that haven't made a come-back, would work now?

I would love to see a re-introduction of Men Behaving Badly. The living arrangements would have to be re-reviewed but Gary and Tony could still have plenty of screen time in Gary's flat/pub.

I have also longed for Curtis and Elton to take the plunge and try a 1960s Blackadder. They all seemed to make assumptions that Hugh Laurie would be too expensive. Have they considered that he might simply enjoy taking part and doing a favour for old times sakes?

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 23rd September 2015, 1:05 PM BST

They all seemed to make assumptions that Hugh Laurie would be too expensive. Have they considered that he might simply enjoy taking part and doing a favour for old times sakes?

Have they also considered that his contribution to the series was very small compared with that of Rowan Atkinson and Tony Robinson, and that a much cheaper actor could play his part without compromising the show's quality?

Come Back Mrs Noah?

I would like to see Goodnight Sweetheart make a return. Even if it was a different cast in the same universe. Change up the time periods and whatnot.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 23rd September 2015, 3:23 PM BST

Have they also considered that his contribution to the series was very small compared with that of Rowan Atkinson and Tony Robinson, and that a much cheaper actor could play his part without compromising the show's quality?

I guess so, but you'd need the entire gang back for full effect.

Early Doors would stand out now I reckon. It'd be great to see a list, like the Wikipedia page on Oscar winners, of each year and which new British sitcoms had been released. We could probably pick a shed-load that, with slight tweaks/different casts, could be well remade.

In general I don't think it's a good idea to bring back old shows. You have to consider why they stopped in the first place. Is it because it simply ran its course and the writers ran out of ideas? Or did it end earlier then it should have for any reason?

You then have to consider, are all the key writers and actors still around and capable of making it work.

I'm sure most of us would love to have 6 more Fawlty Towers episodes. But even if John Cleese and Connie Booth were happy to write together again, it would lack the manic energy and I would assume that Prunella Scales wouldn't be able to be involved due to her illness. They would have to bring in younger characters to keep the fast paced slapstick up. But if you do that, it's basically a different show.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 23rd September 2015, 7:46 PM BST

In general I don't think it's a good idea to bring back old shows. You have to consider why they stopped in the first place. Is it because it simply ran its course and the writers ran out of ideas? Or did it end earlier then it should have for any reason?

You then have to consider, are all the key writers and actors still around and capable of making it work.

I'm sure most of us would love to have 6 more Fawlty Towers episodes. But even if John Cleese and Connie Booth were happy to write together again, it would lack the manic energy and I would assume that Prunella Scales wouldn't be able to be involved due to her illness. They would have to bring in younger characters to keep the fast paced slapstick up. But if you do that, it's basically a different show.

Spot on.

I would love to see more Darkplace. After all, there are 44 episodes that haven't been aired yet.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 23rd September 2015, 9:33 PM BST

I would love to see more Darkplace. After all, there are 44 episodes that haven't been aired yet.

I'd forgotten all about those. Why were they seized? Was it all part of the 'conspiracy'?

Quote: Woozie @ 23rd September 2015, 4:58 PM BST

I would like to see Goodnight Sweetheart make a return. Even if it was a different cast in the same universe. Change up the time periods and whatnot.

Have you heard Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast?

Quote: shaggy292 @ 23rd September 2015, 10:18 PM BST

Have you heard Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast?

Ah yes, Goodnight Sweetheart Sweetheart IIRC (WIPD).

Just so long as no-one comes up with anything really stupid like bringing back Open All Hours.

Red Dwarf worked quite well. Despite some hiccups during production, the end result was pretty bloody solid. One of the best series of the show, I felt.

Birds Of Feather was another recent success.

There were rumours of Brittas Empire coming back, wasn't there? I liked it but I don't really care for it coming back except to keep Chris Barrie on our screens.

Was there Spitting Image rumours as well, I can't recall? Again another Chris Barrie vehicle. Could work. Apart from Have I Got News For You, I don't think anything as been able top the satirical nature of the show.

Quote: Flavian @ 23rd September 2015, 6:03 PM BST

Early Doors would stand out now I reckon.

'Early Doors' is possibly the most under-rated British sitcom of all time, which is all the more surprising when one considers that it is (in my view) also one of the best British sitcoms of all time.

It was originally to be a joint writing enterprise between Caroline Aherne and Craig Cash but, when CA pulled out, the BBC wanted to abandon the project as CA was seen as very much the major talent of the writing duo.

Luckily for comedy fans everywhere, CC was able to persuade the BBC to carry on with the project and the result was a show that (in my view, again) outshines The Royle Family like the sun outshines the moon.