Newsjack Series 13 Page 11

Quote: AndyGilder @ 17th September 2015, 10:23 PM BST

So they won't use anything based on a well-known tune, because they don't have time to get in touch with the copyright holder.

Somebody asked about this on Twitter last week and they pretty much said "don't send us any parody songs".

Well done to everyone that got stuff on. Bonzo, did they not use anything from your writers room session on Monday?

Quote: Glauber Berti @ 18th September 2015, 9:28 AM BST

Somebody asked about this on Twitter last week and they pretty much said "don't send us any parody songs".

Well done to everyone that got stuff on. Bonzo, did they not use anything from your writers room session on Monday?

For songs - do try 'Newsrevue' - they welcome songs, sketches and oneliners - see other threads on BCG for info.

No - nothing of ours this week - being in the writersroom doesn't mean your stuff will get on I'm afraid - we know this from last time! But you do get paid for 2 mins work and even if there wasn't any pay at all, for us the experience was the main thing. And we'll keep plugging away and hope to get a credit again in a future episode! :)

Managed to get a sketch on, for the first time! It was the Friends one. Interestingly (maybe?) the Liverpuddlian dialect/references were added in the rewrite (so when it came on I thought for a second, "Wait, *is* this my sketch?" before recognizing the jokes) but yeah -very proud to have my weird little sketch in there.

Again, thought the whole episode was really funny and original. Good work, all!

Quote: kate to the party @ 18th September 2015, 4:44 PM BST

Managed to get a sketch on, for the first time! It was the Friends one. Interestingly (maybe?) the Liverpuddlian dialect/references were added in the rewrite (so when it came on I thought for a second, "Wait, *is* this my sketch?" before recognizing the jokes) but yeah -very proud to have my weird little sketch in there.

Excellent - well done Kate! :)

Quote: kate to the party @ 18th September 2015, 4:44 PM BST

Well done, Kate! I really enjoyed your sketch. May it be the first of many!

I had one gag in he lastest episode. The one about Google plus. They changed the wording of the punchline a little. As I had it written it was "four people logged on" which they changed to "over nine users" which to my mind doesn't work as well, as over nine is nonspecific and could be any number larger than nine.

i can't help but wish that they used one of the other gags I sent, but guessthat's just the way it goes.

Quote: TheKingLobotomy @ 18th September 2015, 9:03 PM BST

I had one gag in he lastest episode. The one about Google plus. They changed the wording of the punchline a little. As I had it written it was "four people logged on" which they changed to "over nine users" which to my mind doesn't work as well, as over nine is nonspecific and could be any number larger than nine.

i can't help but wish that they used one of the other gags I sent, but guessthat's just the way it goes.

Well done! I think 'over nine' works because the listener will assume it will be followed by 'million' or 'billion' - classic misdirection!

(Actually, I think you've got off lightly. One of my one-liners was rewritten so heavily that only five words were actually mine...)

Quote: V Riddoch @ 18th September 2015, 10:12 PM BST

Well done! I think 'over nine' works because the listener will assume it will be followed by 'million' or 'billion' - classic misdirection!

(Actually, I think you've got off lightly. One of my one-liners was rewritten so heavily that only five words were actually mine...)

Yes, you are quite right. Thank you.

I hope they still pay you the same for totally rewriting your gag.

I had one gag in he lastest episode. The one about Google plus. They changed the wording of the punchline a little.

So in other words, you got paid for a different joke? Very jammy.

Quote: TheKingLobotomy @ 19th September 2015, 7:22 AM BST

. I hope they still pay you the same for totally rewriting your gag.

Indeed they do. Which is why, on that occasion, I earned five pounds per word (I've just remembered only four words were mine). Who needs to be a lawyer?

I had a sketch on RFTP series 1 that was so heavily re-written I could only identify one joke that was actually mine, and it was the worst one.

Still got a credit in the show. Fine by me.

Basically, as you say, just go with it. They have their reasons. We may not always understand or agree with it, but they're the experts.

Bit late to the party with this but well done all who got something on, or nearly on, last week's episode. Especially Kate for getting a sketch on - no mean task that! I think the Liverpudlian accents made it funnier for me so liked that re-write.

And all the best for episode 3. Unless you sent a pig joke in, I'm sick of this story already!

Other than bribes, what should you write on the submission email?

Quote: Banksy @ 21st September 2015, 4:54 PM BST

Other than bribes, what should you write on the submission email?

Well for me I try to be polite and write a one sentence 'pitch' for each sketch. Something that hooks you in and wants to read more.

Wouldn't say it's the right way to do it as sure there's people who've a much better hit rate than me who do something different.

That might not mean it's wrong. Sounds good to me.