Ronnie Barker

Have you seen the adverts for the Ronnie Barker DVD collection?

A new partwork series which inevitably works out much more expensive than you'd intended because it goes on forever but I may get the first one if it's cheap.

First one is £2.99, the rest are £7.99.

Three episodes per DVD, plus "bonus" Two Ronnies sketches.

By my reckoning, there'll be at least 20 issues. So that's £7.99 x 19, plus the first £2.99 edition. £154.80 right there.

Kind of like the Flying Scotsman part-work I spotted in WHS a couple of weeks ago. Issue 1, 50p. "Complete in 250 issues" or something ridiculous. Worked out as something like £630. >_<

Anyway, trains aside, buy it if you want to, but I'm not going to recommend at all.

That a lot of money.

Could there be (obviously posthumous) update or sequel to his All I Ever Wrote book? There's some things which aren't mentioned, such as additional Charlie Farley serials Stop You're Killing Me and Gang of Slaves as well as the majority of the Phantom Raspberry Blower, not to be confused with the pilot script written by Spike Milligan. (Although no scripts of these exist, the programmes do, don't they?) There must be other sketches linked to him which aren't in the book.

They may not be included due to other rights issues. It does sound like a good idea though, if they possibly could.

I got the Only Fools and Horses set through one of these bi-weekly magazine/dvd subscriptions. A week after I collected the 30th (and final) edition, the OFAH complete DVD box set was released for the first time at half the price I had paid and taking up half the amount of space!

All I gained were 30 magazines (they were more like pamphlets) which didn't really give me much new information.

On the plus side, it did come with a free OFAH mug and a free matchbox 'collectable' OFAH 3 wheeled van. Meh!

Ronnie Barker is in tonight's "Avenger".

"The name of your pussy Mr Steed?"

"Mrs Peel."

I just bought some DVDs from a charity shop today at 20p each.

The Magnificent Evans
Seven of one
Clarence
Porridge Series 1

Quote: Chappers @ 7th March 2018, 11:36 PM

I just bought some DVDs from a charity shop today at 20p each.

The Magnificent Evans
Seven of one
Clarence
Porridge Series 1

You jammy git. ;)

No general Ronnie Barker thread so I thought I'd post it here. Maybe it could be re-titled.

Anyway I'm writing because I caught an episode "Lines from my Grandfather's Forehead" (or something like that.) Intrigued though by the number of writers including Gerard Wiley. There wrre loads for a 30 minute radio sketch show. Did he use any other aliases?

I'm pretty sure he did as that came up in a recent repeat of Barry Cryer's series "Comedy Legends" on RB, and Barry rattled off about 3 all together I think, but can't remember what the other ones were.

Yes, he had multiple aliases at different times. Click into his profile via the image at the top of this page, then tap the 'More information' drop-down heading to see (some of?) the others.

I see there's a new DVD coming out, a colourised episode of a series that is otherwise lost. Now, I love Ronnie Barker and I love vintage telly, but £19.99 for a single episode? Not a chance: https://www.tvbrain.info/shop/books/his-lordship-entertains

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/36597/

It's worth the outlay IMO.

Quote: Aaron @ 9th April 2022, 11:36 AM

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/36597/

It's worth the outlay IMO.

Yeah, well some of us are not rich web site owners.