Boy Meets Girl - Series 1 Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ 5th September 2015, 11:16 PM BST

Clement and La Frenais told me that they do not consider Auf Wiedersehen, Pet to be a comedy.

Poser!

Quote: Chappers @ 6th September 2015, 12:11 AM BST

Poser!

I thought that too and mentioned it to my good friends Connie Booth and John Cleese when I met them for an 'all you can eat buffet' three weeks ago.

Seriously though, I will watch more of this series as it does have potential.

Quote: Aaron @ 5th September 2015, 11:16 PM BST

If we're going down that route, Clement and La Frenais told me that they do not consider Auf Wiedersehen, Pet to be a comedy.

Genre specifications are down to the channel, not to the writer. Boy Meets Girl is being promoted as a sitcom, not a comedy drama.

The term "comedy drama" has certainly, however, become prolific in recent years to describe stories or simple serials. Those terms have been lost by television schedulers and PR types. A whole ream of shows that are neither dramatic, nor particularly comic, have ended up with the label.

Anyway, I enjoyed Boy Meets Girl. Episode 2 is better.

You see, this is why you're the site editor Aaron. Very well put.

Perhaps it's just the scheduling/promotion that's annoyed me. If it had been promoted as a light romantic drama and scheduled in the middle of the day I probably wouldn't have watched it expecting a clever, funny sitcom.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 6th September 2015, 8:42 AM BST

Seriously though, I will watch more of this series as it does have potential.

Fine. I will put my trust in Aaron and Blue and give it one more try.

It was great!! Rebecca Root is such a great actress. I'm surprised that this is her first major role.

You forget that this is the first sitcom dealing with transexualism in a sympathetic way. It is unlike any other sitcom before because you'll get all the ridicule and hatred directed at the 2 main characters and their families.

Quote: Chappers @ 6th September 2015, 2:49 PM BST

You forget that this is the first sitcom dealing with transexualism in a sympathetic way. It is unlike any other sitcom before because you'll get all the ridicule and hatred directed at the 2 main characters and their families.

Good point, that's why it'll be interesting to see how the storylines pan out as the weeks progress.

I found the main character's brother to be the only funny character, everyone else couldn't really act. Not a fan of father-son incest either.

Quote: Fred Halliwell @ 6th September 2015, 9:47 PM BST

I found the main character's brother to be the only funny character, everyone else couldn't really act. Not a fan of father-son incest either.

Incest's a strong word. It was a paternal cuddle.

I've seen adult sons and daughters cuddle up to their Dads on the sofa. What's wrong with a cuddle you unloved children? :P

It was interesting to watch. It started very sitcomy with lines such as... Leo: 'promise you won't tell mam I got sacked.' Bro: 'ok, I won't' Mum walks in... Bro: 'Mam, Leo got sacked.' And the big scene where they first meet felt a bit odd as I didn't see WHY either were actually attracted to each other.

But it had some nice moments and I hope we see more of their chemistry. It needs to avoid saying she's interested in him because he accepts her or sympathises with her change. She needs to like him for him. I'm sure that will come good.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ 8th September 2015, 11:52 AM BST

I've seen adult sons and daughters cuddle up to their Dads on the sofa. What's wrong with a cuddle you unloved children? :P

Hehe. I think it's cute! (Although I wouldn't do it.)

Quote: Chappers @ 6th September 2015, 2:49 PM BST

You forget that this is the first sitcom dealing with transexualism in a sympathetic way.

US sitcom "Orange is the new black" has transsexual character, no hatred there. Watched it all twice, OITNB's leading actresses are very, very good.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ 8th September 2015, 11:52 AM BST

And the big scene where they first meet felt a bit odd as I didn't see WHY either were actually attracted to each other.

If you go into a bar and a woman smiles at you and you get chatting it is inevitable that you want to take it further. Both of them are inexperienced and unlucky in love for different reasons.

Quote: Chappers @ 8th September 2015, 6:02 PM BST

If you go into a bar and a woman smiles at you and you get chatting it is inevitable that you want to take it further.

It's inevitable if you are chatting and ARE ATTRACTED TO the person enough to take it further, I would say. Bars are full of strangers chatting without organising a date after. I didn't think they showed the cause of the attraction well.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ 8th September 2015, 9:59 PM BST

It's inevitable if you are chatting and ARE ATTRACTED TO the person enough to take it further, I would say. Bars are full of strangers chatting without organising a date after. I didn't think they showed the cause of the attraction well.

You chose to ignore the rest of my point.

Both of them are inexperienced and unlucky in love for different reasons.

Quote: Chappers @ 8th September 2015, 10:08 PM BST

Both of them are inexperienced and unlucky in love for different reasons.

I think I've missed why that makes it inevitable that they would find each other attractive enough to take it further.