The most underrated comedy of all time? Page 15

Quote: Woozie @ 26th August 2015, 8:32 PM BST

Game On. No one ever remembers it when I bring it up.
I really liked George & Mildred too and I rarely hear that being brought up.

You've got rubbish friends!

Rock Profile. Lucas and Walliams's show before Little Britain.

Plebs! It's hilarious, seems to get very little attention though

Quote: Aaron @ 26th August 2015, 9:15 PM BST

You've got rubbish friends!

Very much so.

I want to throw in Yonderland as well. I think it's just as funny as their Horrible Histories run, if not better.

Quote: Woozie @ 26th August 2015, 8:32 PM BST

What would I consider to be underrated?

I do think Bottom is brushed aside as senseless slapstick but Rik and Ade's performances and their writing are second to none when it comes to toilet humour and comedic violence.

I agree with Darkplace. The Day Today and Coogan's Run spring to mind. I liked Saxondale a lot too, speaking of Coogan.

Game On. No one ever remembers it when I bring it up.

All favourites of mine.

To be fair about Game On, series one is brilliant (largely down to Ben Chaplin's performance). Series two and three seem to drift off a little. Some nice moments but it runs out of steam.

Early Doors, seriously underrated and I actually prefer it to The Royle Family. Far more likeable and a bigger heart to it, Craig Cash and Phil Mealey wrote some wonderful characters and some of the best one liners. Although losing James McAvoy and Maxine Peake (I think they could have done a lot with her character) to Shameless was a blow. Although unlike most cancelled shows Early Doors did wrap it up nicely. Deserves more love then it gets plus it has one of the best theme tunes in Roddy Frame's Small World.

Quote: Looper007 @ 31st August 2015, 4:48 PM BST

Early Doors, seriously underrated and I actually prefer it to The Royle Family. Far more likeable and a bigger heart to it, Craig Cash and Phil Mealey wrote some wonderful characters and some of the best one liners. Although losing James McAvoy and Maxine Peake (I think they could have done a lot with her character) to Shameless was a blow. Although unlike most cancelled shows Early Doors did wrap it up nicely. Deserves more love then it gets plus it has one of the best theme tunes in Roddy Frame's Small World.

Agree, apart from The Royle Family, which I do also like.

Bought the complete set of Early Doors for only £6 on Amazon a while back, which was a snip but it is still available at a bargain £7.80:-

See Amazon product listing

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st August 2015, 5:21 PM BST

Agree, apart from The Royle Family, which I do also like.

Bought the complete set of Early Doors for only £6 on Amazon a while back, which was a snip but it is still available at a bargain £7.80:-

See Amazon product listing

I should have worded it better, it's not that The Royle family is awful I just prefer Early Doors. Both are classics.

That's a great deal, have the complete set myself with the great commentaries with Cash and Mealey pointing the mistakes during filming and how the script changed throughout the series.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st August 2015, 5:21 PM BST

£5.99 on Ebay, with free postage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/201414528227?clk_rvr_id=892297834875&item=201414528227&lgeo=1&vectorid=229508&rmvSB=true

Love Thy Neighbour, Bless This House.

The Great Outdoors!

Life and Times of Tim:

I remember watching the first episode on channel 5 and thinking "This is so hilarious, it's gonna be huge!" but it seemed to disappear under the radar and die on it's arse.

It's kind of "The Office" meets "Curb your enthusiasm" but animated. It has that naturalistic, ad-libby Curb style dialogue delivery that I love, and I thought it was so well acted and written, but it got cancelled twice (the second time for good). One theory is that the animation looks SO shitty that any casual viewer clicking on it would be turned off by the look of it and switch over before giving it a chance.

Steve Dildarian wrote, animated, produced and voice-acted on it, so I'm gutted it didn't work out for him as he's such a talented guy i.m.o.

One good bit of news is, having given up checking up on it once they cancelled it after series two, I literally only found out while typing this post that they re-commissioned it and made a series 3! Woooot! Series 3 could suck ass for all I know but I'm buying it a.s.a.p!

So if you've never heard of it, but liked The Office and Curb, I'd say give series 1 a whirl.

Quote: Haywired @ 26th August 2015, 1:41 PM BST

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. It was on while I was at university and as my VHS that I'd taped it off the TV with got passed round campus I felt like I was doing my bit to spread the word.

The best thing about GMDP is the DVD: The series is brilliant on it's own, but the DVD commentary tracks(Done while in character as Garth, Dean and Todd) are hilarious in their own right, so you get twelve comedy episodes for the price of six. The talking head documentaries on the DVD (again done in-character) are also equally brilliant. You even get the full length version of One Track Lover!: https://youtu.be/OO-ZGP68-3w

In terms of bonus content, it's one of the best value for money Dvd's I've ever bought.

Quote: Lazarus Goldfinger @ 13th September 2015, 9:11 PM BST

The best thing about GMDP is the DVD: The series is brilliant on it's own, but the DVD commentary tracks(Done while in character as Garth, Dean and Todd) are hilarious in their own right, so you get twelve comedy episodes for the price of six. The talking head documentaries on the DVD (again done in-character) are also equally brilliant. You even get the full length version of One Track Lover!: https://youtu.be/OO-ZGP68-3w

In terms of bonus content, it's one of the best value for money Dvd's I've ever bought.

Couldn't agree more. The extended talking heads is hilarious. I could watch a whole series just of that.

That Mitchell & Webb Look

I'd probably say it's in like the top 3 (certainly 5) sketch shows of all time, but I imagine people would be surprised if I said that, I don't know.

Early Doors is sensational. No idea why it isn't more revered. Mark Benton is perfectly drawn.