Would I Lie To You? - Series 9 Page 5

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st August 2015, 10:02 AM BST

Exactly, I am not saying that he is not funny, just as your last phrase points out.

But if you look at it as a stand-up with a story linking it together and not as traditional sitcom it is still very clever/funny.

Quote: Chappers @ 31st August 2015, 1:28 PM BST

But if you look at it as a stand-up with a story linking it together and not as traditional sitcom it is still very clever/funny.

Funny maybe, but certainly not clever.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st August 2015, 2:42 PM BST

certainly not clever.

Au contraire, Hercules, au contraire.

Oh yes, Aaron - as Italophile said "it all becomes contrived and predictable"

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 31st August 2015, 8:47 AM BST

I recently got Series 4 on DVD, amd my God it makes me laugh. I can still remember one joke, wherein the story was about a guest having had their house exorcised of ghosts and complaining about the cost, to which Lee came back immediately with "To be fair, if you can't pay the costs they'll come back and repossess your house".

I need to be in the studio audience one day.

Ye I got Series 1 to 5 about a year ago but the thing about the Christmas specials and having to buy it for 1 ep is annoying.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st August 2015, 2:42 PM BST

Funny maybe, but certainly not clever.

Funny on the odd occasion when the gag isn't telegraphed from a mile away. And I'm not sure what's clever about telegraphing gags from a mile away. I think his solo stuff suffers from the same problem, you can hear the set-ups clanking away. Working off the top of his head - as in Would I Lie To You? - is an entirely different matter. Spontaneity is his forte.

In the latest example of the BBC treating their best comedy show with utter contempt, they will apparently not be showing the last episode in this series on the 18th September, as they've decided it's more important to show a repeat of Still Open All Hours instead. Disgraceful stuff.

Quote: cwickham @ 1st September 2015, 9:52 PM BST

In the latest example of the BBC treating their best comedy show with utter contempt, they will apparently not be showing the last episode in this series on the 18th September, as they've decided it's more important to show a repeat of Still Open All Hours instead. Disgraceful stuff.

Didn't they do that with the last series as well? I seem to remember they had two episodes spare and just wedged them into the schedule months later to fill gaps.

Surely it doesn't really matter with panel shows does it?

Quote: Chappers @ 1st September 2015, 11:00 PM BST

Surely it doesn't really matter with panel shows does it?

Now you've said it, I realise I agree with you (a bit). Perhaps they deliberately hold a couple back specifically for when the have a gap in the schedule.

It turns out they *are* showing a new episode on the 18th after all... but at 7:30pm so they can repeat Still Open All Hours at 8:30.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st August 2015, 3:59 PM BST

Oh yes, Aaron - as Italophile said "it all becomes contrived and predictable"

But all sitcom is contrived in one way or another.
(Are we talking about Not Going Out, by the way? I hope so.)
It's predictable in the sense that you know you're going to get a joke every few seconds, but I don't see most of the punchlines coming.
But I'm not analysing it as I go, I just try to enjoy it.
Having a natural comedian like Lee Mack lets you know you're in safe hands.
Shame Tim's gone as I preferred it when he was in it.

Anyway.
To write something that packed with that many good one liners and still give it a plot that works and characters that you do quite like is clever.

It may not be highbrow, or too clever for its own good but it's undoubtedly clever.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeh!!!!! Andy Murray's mother!!!

Judy Murray: 2 or 3 words
Richard Hammond: 2 or 3 sentences.

Didn't enjoy this episode very much.

Oh, and I thought it was a good one. Sean Lock on fire as usual and I have to say, despite what I have said previous about him, Lee Mack was very good - especially the ladder/Ikea. Very funny. Laughing out loud

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 28th August 2015, 10:24 PM BST

I'm starting to agree with Stewart Lee about the same couple of agents getting the same acts on everything.

Tonight, Rhod Gilbert was on WILTY on BBC1. At the same time Rhod Gilbert was on 15 to 1 on C4 with Adam Hills. An hour later Adam Hills was presenting The Last Leg on C4 with Josh Widdicombe and Alex Brooker. Just before that Josh Widdicombe and Alex Brooker were on Cats Does Countdown on C4.

I don't have any problems any of them, but it is the same dozen or so comedians appearing on everything.

It's happened again.

From 15 to 1, WILTY, Cats Does Countdown and The Last Leg:
Adam Hills x2 (ok, he does host two shows so this will happen every week)
Lee Mack x2 (WILTY and The Last Leg)
Sean Lock x2 (WILTY, Cats Does Countdown)