The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin

Just a wee heads up. On Saturday night on BBC 2 they are showing Reggie Perrin, think it is the full first series. Hopefully they will show the other 2 shortly.

I didn't get where I am by only watching 1 series of this wondrful sitcom. It really is great and makes super telly. As long as there is no cock up on the catering front and my train is not 11 minutes late due to faulty points at Esher, I will be watching.

>_< Heads up. Angry

Poor old Herc - he hates all of that 'American Corporate Claptrap'!

Thank you for the information though, I love Reggie and all of his eccentric friends, colleagues and family too. I seem to recall reading somewhere that in the original David Nobbs books, Uncle Jimmy and Reggie's daughter were supposed to be a bit, well, 'Rolf Harris' if you catch my drift. Yuck.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 27th August 2015, 7:37 PM BST

I'm not the only one. Whistling nnocently

It's just the first episode, immediately preceded by the relevant Comedy Connections episode, I rather suspect due to the recent death of David Nobbs.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 27th August 2015, 7:37 PM BST

Thank you for the information though, I love Reggie and all of his eccentric friends, colleagues and family too. I seem to recall reading somewhere that in the original David Nobbs books, Uncle Jimmy and Reggie's daughter were supposed to be a bit, well, 'Rolf Harris' if you catch my drift. Yuck.

Reggie's daughter was over 18, but I believe they do sleep together in the novel. Not sure if Reggie finds out about this or how it affects the rest of the novels. Probably treated as a mistake-for obvious legal reasons.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 28th August 2015, 10:56 PM BST

Reggie's daughter was over 18, but I believe they do sleep together in the novel. Not sure if Reggie finds out about this or how it affects the rest of the novels. Probably treated as a mistake-for obvious legal reasons.

Sounds like a bit of a cock up.

When I was newly married the first series was on TV.
Each time my wife told me her mother was coming, I used to stop dead and look to the sky with a pondering look.
She said 'you are imagining a Hippo aren't you'

Quote: wigwam willy @ 28th August 2015, 11:38 PM BST

bit of a cock up.

We've all been there - "I promise, I'll only put it in a little way"

The first episode was shown again last night on BBC4 following the first episode of Yes Minister. Does anyone know if these two will be continuing a full rerun or were just one offs like in 2015 for Perrin? They were followed by the 2016 show British Sitcom: 60 Years Of Laughing At Ourselves which I missed first time round and thought was hmm, functional, and too concerned with socio-political aspects. Which made me think they could just be one off tie ins with that, like TV is annoyingly wont to doing.

Back to the Nobbs sitcom, and it being a couple of decades at least since I've watched it, I was blown away how good it was for a first episode. Wow, and I still got that sense that it was different from the norm as you did then in 1976 which marked it out as a classic in the making. I'm not sure the whole three series lived up to this promise, from memory, but nonetheless it has to be one of the best Ep 1s of them all, doesn't it? I still hope it actually is the start of a new run, so Tuesday nights are marked down for me.

It started fabulously but went on too long. The Fall and Rise and Fall and Rise and etc. Grot was when I lost interest, though I heard it picked up again (Rose?) later.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 24th February 2021, 8:01 AM

The first episode was shown again last night on BBC4 following the first episode of Yes Minister. Does anyone know if these two will be continuing a full rerun or were just one offs like in 2015 for Perrin? They were followed by the 2016 show British Sitcom: 60 Years Of Laughing At Ourselves which I missed first time round and thought was hmm, functional, and too concerned with socio-political aspects. Which made me think they could just be one off tie ins with that, like TV is annoyingly wont to doing.

... I still hope it actually is the start of a new run, so Tuesday nights are marked down for me.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 21st February 2021, 4:36 PM

...And comedy night on BBC4 on Tuesday from 8pm comprising:
The starts of re-runs of Yes Minister and The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin with the first episodes of each;
The British Sitcom - 60 years of Laughing at Ourselves
A celebration of The Secret Policeman's Ball concerts.

I wonder if David Nobbs and Keith Waterhouse were friends.
They were certainly under the same boss at the BBC at the same time.

I often thought Reggie Perrin must have been a little inspired by Billy Liar.
The similar imagined fantasies of what they'd like to do to someone.

They could both have been inspired by James Thurber's Walter Mitty, which I'm pretty sure predated both of their creations.

Quote: chipolata @ 24th February 2021, 11:50 AM

They could both have been inspired by James Thurber's Walter Mitty, which I'm pretty sure predated both of their creations.

Yep, debuted in 1939, it seems.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 24th February 2021, 8:01 AM

The first episode was shown again last night on BBC4 following the first episode of Yes Minister. Does anyone know if these two will be continuing a full rerun or were just one offs like in 2015 for Perrin?

It's not yet clear if they'll go through all the series, but Series 1 of each does at least appear to be scheduled, yes.

Next week you can catch Hattie afterwards, followed by Mark Lawson talking to Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais.