Are You Being Served? Page 8

Our PBS stations never showed Allo Allo! This bites! Even the PBS stations here suck! Teary

Quote: sootyj @ August 24 2013, 8:35 PM BST

Do kids these days think this show was about epic rap battles?

This comment gave me a vision of what AYBS would be in today's TV environment. I saw someone like Dale Winton & Sara Cox teaming up to do a reality show where they deliver divorce papers to unsuspecting members of the public.

Ok, so it momentarily tittled me before it wore off...

Def.

Good on the BBC for once: repeating this comedy classic on BBC Two on weekday afternoons.
Far preferable - and funnier - than Mrs. Brown's Boys or Miranda.

Now showing the series with Candy Davis as Mr Rumbold's secretary - phwoar!!!

AYBS? is one of those sitcoms I'm glad is there but also glad I don't watch. The same as 'Allo 'Allo!, except I'll add a very glad on the latter bit.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 12th March 2014, 10:21 PM GMT

AYBS? is one of those sitcoms I'm glad is there but also glad I don't watch. The same as 'Allo 'Allo!, except I'll add a very glad on the latter bit.

Why are you glad it's there if you don't watch it? Altruistic concern for televisual enjoyers of the series?

I loved it as a kid, and I've not seen it or much of it for years, but every Friday night growing up no matter what trend or comedy fashion was in, I always tuned into Grace Brothers' finest. I mean it's pure panto full of double - sometimes just plain single - entendre, stuffed full, of filth and fun. And a huge dollop of Mrs Slocombe's pussy, which was her cat and not her cat, if you catch me drift.

Zero plots really, catchphrases galore, over the top and full of zest. Its team a sheer force of nature like a comedic tsunami. Shell out gags and slapstick at a rate of knots. I even went to the pictures to watch the film version of it, and I loved that too.

Didn't like Grace & Favour at all, it was timed wrong.

And I've never believed Mr Humphreys was not gay, and just a mummy's boys, there's load of jokes about cottaging in it. And who cares, he was a camp classic.

I don't know if I'd still love it as much as I did then, perhaps I may, perhaps I may not.

Quote: Mark Gibson @ 7th May 2014, 2:46 PM BST

And I've never believed Mr Humphreys was not gay, and just a mummy's boys, there's load of jokes about cottaging in it. And who cares, he was a camp classic.

Same thing with It Ain't Half Hot Mum. Beaumont was clearly meant to be gay at the beginning, but at one point of the show Croft (& partner) felt the need to "put it right" by giving him a short and completely unconvincing heterosexual affair...well not even an affair, just passionate snog with a sexy woman. Just as with Humphreys. I remember him being kissed by a woman (Miss Brahms?) which he replied by jumping at her like a randy toad. But both scenes didn't feel natural...just an excuse to make them straight, maybe because of societal pressures. Ridiculous when writers chicken out that way.

Or maybe it underlines their homosexuality by showing how ludcirously they react with a woman?

I think Aaron that'd be too subtle.

Cultural mores change with generations, it's not fair to judge a 1970s show by 2014 values.

Or else the only sitcom you'll be left with is, Are You Being Politically Correct?

Are You Being Served is just an excellent sitcom. "I'm free!"

It's one of those sitcoms that wouldn't work as real life...

I don't think that the current rerun on BBC Two has been edited.

In Camping In:

Miss Brahms: I can still picture him running up the beach with his black face.
Mr Lucas: What was he? The first illegal immigrant?
Miss Brahms: No, a commando.

Caught a glimpse of an episode with Mike Berry and a different Mr Grace, not (Mr Bluett) on BBC2 this afternoon.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st July 2015, 8:37 PM BST

Caught a glimpse of an episode with Mike Berry and a different Mr Grace, not (Mr Bluett) on BBC2 this afternoon.

I'm currently watching series 8 on DVD...I hate this Mr Grace and the less said about Berry the better.