OFAH Yes or No? Survey

It seems zooo and I have ruffled Gordon's feathers in our cool assessment of OFAH, and it had me thinking maybe there are others on the BCG who feel the same way, as up to now all I have seen is almost a fanatical devotion to this sitcom.

Let's get one thing straight. It is a good sitcom, but that's about it as far as I am concerned. It has had some very good situations no doubt; but if you are talking John Sullivan, then I prefer Just Good Friends or say Citizen Smith or Dear John.

Having now thought about it a bit more, I think what I don't like about it is actually the Del Boy character as I have met some of these wheeler-dealer, your best mate, heart of gold, do anything for you, over the years but when they get down to it, they are all mouth and no trousers.

In a similar vein, by the way, I think the same about Scousers, which is probably why I hated Bread.

Yes

One of the main factors why I Iove this show that much is the fact that I really do care about the characters which I can't say about many sitcoms, maybe Porridge and Dad's Army being the others. One reason for this is of course the great main cast but also the clever decision to turn the sitcom into some kind of comedy drama soap opera after the first five series. Before that the show was an "ordinary" Sitcom with many very funny and clever jokes and situations. But despite his talent Sullivan's writing was very spotty imo, many winners but also as many average moments, by far not as consistent as Fawlty Towers. Every one of the first five series had two or three great episodes but also one or two I can skip on DVD. The added drama in the 50 minuters is what made this show really special to me.

Funny you don't like Del Boy, to me Rodney is the annoying git from series six on. A complete loser who cracks the jackpot by marrying Cassie and getting a free job with the marriage. Then he f**ks it all up and never stops moaning and feeling sorry for himself. What a plonker!

The only character I actually really liked was Trigger. And maybe Boycie.

Quote: zooo @ 20th July 2015, 9:12 PM BST

The only character I actually really liked was Trigger. And maybe Boycie.

I know, despite being a total heartless bastard the Boycie character is sooo funny. I was disappointed with TGGG though.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 20th July 2015, 9:16 PM BST

I know, despite being a total heartless bastard the Boycie character is sooo funny. I was disappointed with TGGG though.

Totally agree - the idea was there, it just lost its way.

Yes for the first few years.
Grandad was my favourite character. Couldn't take to Buster at all.

Quote: wigwam willy @ 20th July 2015, 11:26 PM BST

Yes for the first few years.
Grandad was my favourite character.Couldn't take to Buster at all.

I agree with this.

The thing with Only Fools is that the vast majority of the characters are lovable. The acting is spot on. The situations are funny and unpredictable and it really grew in character as it went on.

It's really a fantastic template for a sitcom in my view.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th July 2015, 8:07 PM BST

what I don't like about it is actually the Del Boy character / I think the same about Scousers, which is probably why I hated Bread.

Ditto to both of those. The latter also due to its typical Carla Lane misandry.

I've never seen an episode
Would it be a bit dated now if I wanted to start from the beginning?

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 21st July 2015, 8:33 AM BST

I've never seen an episode

Steve it's the #1 sit com on this websites top 50 and on many others. It was a national treasure and a view ratings winner, so I recommend you take a peek.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 21st July 2015, 8:33 AM BST

I've never seen an episode***

:O .........but hang on.*** That would make a great radio/TV series "I've Never Seen OFAH", where celebrity guests try out experiences that are totally new to them, but common to many others.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st July 2015, 9:14 AM BST

:O .........but hang on.*** That would make a great radio/TV series "I've Never Seen OFAH", where celebrity guests try out experiences that are totally new to them, but common to many others.

Smashing idea. First episode: David Cameron and his family spend a week at a Pontins holiday camp.

Yes.

:D That might make a good thread............

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 21st July 2015, 11:54 AM BST

Smashing idea. First episode: David Cameron and his family spend a week at a Pontins holiday camp.

Mr Roper is noticeable by his absence on this matter, but then it's a given I suppose. Pleased