What are TV execs looking for?

So I had this great idea for a sketch show, then read almost everywhere that TV execs are no longer commissioning sketch shows/don't want to take risks/they're too expensive/online is the way forward.

Is it all hopeless? Can sketch shows be brought back in fashion, or is it all about the sitcom/panel show/100th repeat of Live at the apollo?

Thoughts welcome before I throw my TV idea in the bin Huh?

Sketch shows are pretty well exclusively 'talent' lead.
A sketch troupe or double-act will have some sort of previous success on the circuit - the commission follows from there.
I should imagine you could count on the fingers of one foot how many times a sketch show has been commissioned from a writer only.
Get some actors together, film your stuff and get it online.
Otherwise you're probably wasting your time.

"Talent" being a euphemism for a performer.

I heard one has lost his remote.

Interns?
The photocopier?
The right room?

Some of them probably spend their entire career not contemplating new shows...

Getting a sketch show commissioned off a sketch show script is very unlikely.

Getting work on an existing sketch show on the back of a sketch show script is possible.

For sketches, absolutely get out there and do it. YouTube, gigs, whatever, if it's good then people will respond. There's no excuse now for just sitting on sketch scripts and waiting for someone else to make them -- I'd think the only way anything will happen like that is via several years of success that starts with a high Newsjack acceptance rate.

Sitcoms are expensive to make and they can fail to amuse audiences.

Reality shows, in stark contrast, are relatively cheap to make and are becoming increasing popular.

I've seen the future and it sure as Hell ain't sitcom.

This speculative dystopian future with all reality shows and no sitcoms is a long way away yet, so we're safe enough pursuing the comedy for now.

wayoh