Script format

Basically I'm writing a scene for a fictional current affairs-type programme where I want to go to a clip/ feature piece (not a flashback) but I don''t know how to format it to show that 1. It's a clip. 2. We are returning to the studio.

Also, should put them on separate pages? Because only a few lines on each page looks a bit weird/ wrong. I would appreciate any pointers on this.

Example:

INT. STUDIO- DAY
GREG:
Hi everyone. Today I went to Warwickshire Toothpaste Factory where I learned the importance of brushing your teeth.

INT. TOOTHPASTE FACTORY- DAY
FACTORY WORKER:
Brush your teeth.

GREG:
I think I will. Thank you William.

INT. STUDIO- DAY
GREG:
What a fascinating visit. I had such fun there.

I would have done it like this below but I'm not an expert mind:

INT. STUDIO-DAY

Greg: Hi everyone. Today I went to Warwickshire Toothpaste Factory where I learned the importance of brushing your teeth.

CUT TO TOOTHPASTE FACTORY

Factory worker: Brush your teeth.

Greg: I think I will. Thank you William.

CUT TO STUDIO

Greg: What a fascinating visit. I had such fun there.

Yes, you need some way to indicate that this is not a real time cut.

CUT TO V.T. - TOOTHPASTE FACTORY

...might do the trick.

Don't put stuff on separate pages.

Quote: Lazzard @ 27th May 2015, 9:50 AM BST

Yes, you need some way to indicate that this is not a real time cut.

CUT TO V.T. - TOOTHPASTE FACTORY

...might do the trick.

Don't put stuff on separate pages.

V.T. Chappers? Videotape went out in the 90s.

Also why have the initial dots? This is also no longer common practice.

You could say

"CUT TO TOOTHPASTE FACTORY (STOCK FOOTAGE)" if you like- "TOOTHPASTE FACTORY (EXT)" would be better.

"Stock Footage" might, understandably, imply you're using stock footage.
Which you're not.
VT (without the dots!) is still in common parlance for pre-taped material that is used in live situations.
Not sure there is technically any tape involved -I think it's called a 'package' or something like that, but no-one would know what you're talking about if you said that.
There are lots of words that hang over from a previous technical age, but are still in use.
'Cut" being a prime example.

And I'm not Chappers BTW.

Sorry, Lazzard.

:D

I have more experience writing film screenplays than TV, so I'm by no means an expert here. But from what I can gather, the two are pretty similar.

You should really try to avoid using transitions in your scripts, especially one as basic as CUT TO. Any reader will understand that a new slug line requires a cut. If it's not a cut, say you want a fade or dissolve, you can make note of that. However this should still be done very sparingly. As a writer, you need to try to not direct from within the script; directing is the job of the director.

To my mind, the example given by the OP is just fine, although perhaps a note could be made at the end of the slug line that it is a VT. I'd go with:

INT. TOOTHPASTE FACTORY - DAY (VT)

Quote: madhatter @ 31st May 2015, 3:10 PM BST

As a writer, you need to try to not direct from within the script; directing is the job of the director.

Yes, but clarity is all.
As a writer, if what you want to happen is that the visual should switch to a pre-recorded piece of material you must do everything in your power to make that clear.
The most important part of the slug is the VT bit - that is what defines it.
To put it in as a brackets is likely to confuse, as it not a standard parenthical.
CUT TO is certainly something to avoid as a rule, but in this case it is part of the vernacular of news broadcasting and is thus wholly appropriate.